Author Topic: 2012 RESULTS THREAD  (Read 61725 times)

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
  • "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." - V. Lombardi
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: 2012 RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #105 on: September 23, 2012, 10:05:29 AM »
We played one of the weaker teams in our league and won 41-20.  We fumbled inside their 5 late in the game or the final would have been 47 or 49-20. We started our second team on defense and they played just about the whole game (I think we gave our regular defensive starters two defensive series).  Our second team offense turned the ball over inside our 10 to set up one of their scores.  We got to work on a bunch of things that we needed work on and I got the ball distributed to some guys that haven't had a lot of touches, but we were sloppy, so I'm not very happy with the effort overall.  Nonetheless, we're 5-0, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #106 on: September 23, 2012, 10:30:09 AM »
Doug

Great job! Keep them rolling.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2012, 11:09:22 AM »
We won 37-0 in a snoozer. Their was a steady rain the entire day which made conditions very bad. We wanted to work on our passing game but ended up just running dw and sw to get this game over as fast as possible. We scored on defense, had a safety, and only gave up one first down. Our back ups were in for much of the game and they played great. Our next opponent has some athletes but will not really give us much trouble.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 11:17:01 AM by PSLCOACHROB »

Offline lost episodes

• Silver
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2012, 11:15:02 AM »
We won 6-0 with another great effort from the DEFENSE, our offense have the weapons BUT the OC needs to learn how to read BETTER not that I'm the best BUT "run were they ain't is SO TRUE thanks DUMCOACH and ALL!!!!"

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2012, 11:17:28 AM »
Good Job Rob, & Italcy. So far so good!

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline shawnm

• Copper
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2012, 11:57:51 AM »
We won our 2nd game this week we're now 2-0.   The first week we beat likely the most talented team  18-16 in a thriller.      This week we won 40-24 in a game that really showed we need allot of work on defense.   We also need to find a kicker,  other teams are killing us with the 2 point conversion.  We've only made one kick so far.   

Next game will be difficult as it is on Tuesday night against a team that had this Saturday and probably scouted the heck out of us.

We're in an 11 team league, most teams have played 3-4 games, we're only undefeated team now but I don't have allot of confidence in my team this year we are very small and relying on our passing game out of the single wing  (we have 4 passing touchdowns in 2 games).   

Good Luck to all.   

Offline Coach Kyle

• Gold
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2012, 12:12:48 PM »
So I got myself a gig. I'm going to be helping out a team that runs Dave Cisar's system. I met these guys at our scrimmage, before that previous drama, and I'm going to be helping them out for the rest of the season. They seem like guys who have done a fair amount of research. I'm not liking the tackling though. Overall the team seems to really lack some aggression.

Offline Tripwire

• Silver
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2012, 12:43:16 PM »
Won 49-19.

Offense looked great a few hiccups on the 2nd and 3rd stringer lines that always seem to be there.

Defense gave up a 4th and forever bomb pass where our reciever was in great position and just was out jumped and grabbed by a much taller reciever and he fell down.  1 in a million passes by a bad QB and Reiever combo lol. 

The other 2 came very late in the game when I wholesaled everyone on defense.

It could have been much much worse score wise.  Every little thing we did offensively worked.  When it went up and we had the mercy rule in we were running just straight up 2 TE dives right in the 1 and 2 hole with guys who have never even run before and they were getting 10 yards a pop.  It was pretty crazy.  We scored on every possesion except 2 at the end.

Very very poorly coached opponent.  They actually had some really athletic and talented kids with great size, just had no idea about any sort of execution.  Not good.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2012, 06:02:26 PM »
Won, 33-6.  We're 2-1.  The next two weeks we play not very good teams - the second team is awful.  They lost 38-7 to the team we just hammered.  Assuming we take care of business the next two weeks, 3 weeks from now is the big game - the team we have to beat to have a chance for the playoffs.  Second year in a row we will have to face them off.

Scored on a long wedge, a QB sweep that was supposed to be a power pass but the TE tripped, a kickoff return, a 40 yard counter (only one I ran all day), and a jet sweep.  The last TD was petty of me - we were up 27-6 in the 4th quarter, had our second team O in running off tackle, and they were still all out blitzing.  So I said (loudly) - fine, if they want to blitz, we'll send the starters back in, which I did, and ran jet sweep the next play for a 30 yard +/- TD.  Took a knee on the PAT.

D played well, didn't give up many first downs at all.  Their TD was a long pass over our back up CB, who I had JUST TOLD to watch the WB, LOL.  We caught the kid inside the 10, held and on 4th and goal from about the 2, we got caught with our DL day dreaming and they quick snapped a QB sneak into the end zone.  He barely made it.

Haven't looked at the video yet, going to do that shortly.

Offline Meathead

• Copper
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2012, 09:38:47 AM »
Lost 19 -- 7 to fall to 0 -- 4 on the season.  We finally found the endzone!  Game was much closer than the score, and our opponent was a very good undefeated team coming into the game.  Execution of offense was by far the best of the season, and we lead 7-6 late in the 3rd.  We had 3 fumbles by the same player, 2 that resulted in next-play TDs late in the 4th.  That kid ran great, just got sloppy with his ball handling.  He will be getting some extra coaching on that this week.  We put in 2 plays from Beast late last week, counter & sweep, and they both worked very well.  Blast will be going in this week.

Defense played much better as well.  Tackling on the edges by our OLBs & Corners still needs work.  Our DL did a much better job of penetrating.  The biggest kid on the team, who has been a project of mine, had a breakout game at NT.  I'm not sure how many tackles he was in on, but it was several, and I think he finally "got it."  We had picture day yesterday, and he gave me a hug and asked if I would be in his picture with him.  Things like that are what's getting me through the losses, lol.

The team we have this week is a lot like us, both physically and experience wise.  We soundly "beat" them in a scrimmage in our open week last month, and we're hoping to build on last week's progress and pick up our first win.

Offline btwilli1

• Copper
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2012, 10:14:08 AM »
7-8 y/o's very disorganized league through a few county playgrounds.  First game with just 5 practices under our belt.  We implement Cisar's single wing.  The other team looked like they had maybe 2 practices.  Score was 39-0.  All my 16 Power's looked like 16.5 sweeps.  My puller kept getting tangled up, and my center was hiking way too high all of a sudden.   

7 different kids scored either a TD or an extra point.  Took all the starters out after halftime, and the 9 MPP's still didn't allow a score or more than 10 yards.  The only starter I had in was my wingback and center, and no one could remember the cadence, lol.  We can only get better from here.

My defense is a horde of gang tacklers, we didn't even really drill it, they all just want to get to the ball carrier.

The 43 Reverse that we ran once was a thing of beauty.  The rest of the game was 16 Powers that just happened to get kicked out to the 6.5/8 hole.  The 18 Sweep looked perfect however. 
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 10:16:01 AM by btwilli1 »

Offline coachmiket

• Silver
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2012, 10:38:15 AM »
5-0 now after a 19-8 victory on Saturday.  This team came into the game at 3-1 and probably outsized us to a man, but we were able to shut their offense down almost all day and our offense moved the ball consistently.  Two long TD drives in the first half and then one more in the final minute of the half and we led 19-0.  We gave up a busted run with a couple minutes left and then they punched it in a few plays later for their score.

Our next game is against another 5-0 team that has some big bodies and runs the DW.  This will be a huge test.  We play 7 regular season games, so this game will decide 1st place in our conference.  We will likely see these guys in week 9 in the semifinals if everything plays out right.

Moving to 5-0 officially clinched homefield for the first round of the playoffs.  After that the games are played on neutral sites.

Offline bigshel

• Silver
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2012, 02:08:02 PM »
4-0 now after a 30-0 win this past weekend vs. a not-very-good opponent.  Mercy rule kicked in with 2:45 to go in the first quarter.  Went first series no huddle - 6 straight wedge plays on first sound. Scored on - you geussed it - wedge.

Upcoming opponent should be our biggest test. Should have played them last year for the Conference Championship, but they got upset in the playoffs by a team that we both mercy-ruled during the regular season.  We'll see this weekend if we're as good as we think we are.

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2012, 04:28:32 PM »
5-0 now after a 19-8 victory on Saturday.  This team came into the game at 3-1 and probably outsized us to a man, but we were able to shut their offense down almost all day and our offense moved the ball consistently.  Two long TD drives in the first half and then one more in the final minute of the half and we led 19-0.  We gave up a busted run with a couple minutes left and then they punched it in a few plays later for their score.

Our next game is against another 5-0 team that has some big bodies and runs the DW.  This will be a huge test.  We play 7 regular season games, so this game will decide 1st place in our conference.  We will likely see these guys in week 9 in the semifinals if everything plays out right.

Moving to 5-0 officially clinched homefield for the first round of the playoffs.  After that the games are played on neutral sites.
If you plan on changing stuff or throwing wrinkles out DO NOT do it next game. Go out and run your base and save the adjustments for the playoffs when it really matters. Be willing to take a loss running your regular stuff. YOu might end up surprising yourself and win anyway. We had a team do this to us 2 years ago and it took 2 quarters to get adjusted to what they were doing. If they would of shown us this stuff in the regular season we would of completely shut them down in the playoffs. We still won but it was a closer game then the first time we played. Just my $.02.

Offline Coach Kyle

• Gold
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2012, 04:35:05 PM »
Well the team I was coaching is 0 and 3 (they removed me as a coach the day before the first game). And both the JV and Varsity teams are 0 and 3 also.

The new team I joined lost their game and they are now 1 and 2. We're not really that good at tackling. Hopefully I can make the difference. I'm going to request some time with them to help them with tackling.