Author Topic: 2012 RESULTS THREAD  (Read 61730 times)

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: 2012 RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #135 on: September 29, 2012, 09:46:49 PM »
We had our worst outing of the year as we fell to 0-4 with a 19-0 loss. Defense played absolutely horrible with lots of missed tackles and arm tackles. There were also several times, again, where we had them at 4th and long only to give up a big gain when it looked like we had them stopped for a loss or short gain. Offensively, wedge was consistent as was our fold plays, but the lack of speed kept us from breaking anything big. On  a positive note, if anything could even be considered positive, was that one of our really small kids, who I was playing as a WB, turned out to be a decent runner making a couple of nice outside runs at the end of the game. Might have to consider putting all the studs on the O-line. We have a bye week next week so I'm giving the kids a couple of days off before we get back to practicing on Wednesday.

Offline shawnm

• Copper
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
« Reply #136 on: September 29, 2012, 11:49:32 PM »
Won today in a sleeper.   I never mercy ruled a team mid way thru 2nd quarter before. Played poorest team in league.  O-line was dominating. Took 2 punts to house. Our mercy rule is 35 then other team keeps getting it at 10 yard line until they score.   We are now 4-0 been averaging over 40 points per game with coach Cisars offense and no wedge in last 2 games.  Won today  52-22  played 2nd string at least 1/2 the game.

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
  • "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." - V. Lombardi
  • Offense: Spread Formation
« Reply #137 on: September 30, 2012, 01:14:48 AM »
Won today in a sleeper.   I never mercy ruled a team mid way thru 2nd quarter before. Played poorest team in league.  O-line was dominating. Took 2 punts to house. Our mercy rule is 35 then other team keeps getting it at 10 yard line until they score.   We are now 4-0 been averaging over 40 points per game with coach Cisars offense and no wedge in last 2 games.  Won today  52-22  played 2nd string at least 1/2 the game.
Congratulations coach.  Well done.

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
« Reply #138 on: September 30, 2012, 01:24:20 AM »
We had a rematch with a team we beat 32-18 in week 2.  We're playing with a lot more confidence now and we took care of business pretty easily tonight, winning 33-6.  We were up 20-0 at halftime and emptied the bench in second half (actually before that).  It was a fun evening.  We're 6-0 now.  We have a rematch next week with the team we beat 30-27 in week 4 - they were everyone's preseason favorite to win our league title this year, but they lost today, 14-0, to the other undefeated team in our league, who we play in the last game of the regular season in two weeks.  I'm really looking forward to that game, but I don't want to look past this week's game.  One at a time ...

My QBs passing stats for the game:  15-25-207, 4 TDs, no picks.  QB Rating: 182.4.  Cumulative team passing stats for the year (6 games): 65-125-1078, 17 TDs, 1 INT.  Passer Rating: 167.7.  We also had 18 rushes for 118 yards, and 17 first downs for the game, which was called about midway through the 4th quarter.  On the season, we've had about 25 drops, or our passing stats would be a whole lot better.  We haven't really been running the ball all that well, admittedly, but we do just well enough to keep the opposition off balance.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 06:19:03 PM by coachdoug »

Offline coach.Z

• Copper
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #139 on: September 30, 2012, 01:26:55 AM »
Got real lucky today that we were playing a pretty cool chapter.  Seems a scheduling mishap had us thinking an 11AM game was being played at 1PM.  They agreed to let us rush to get there when we realized at 10:45AM.  Forfeiting for our first loss would have stung!  As for the game, scored on our first two plays, the first a 60 yard off tackle and the second a 60 yard bootleg keeper.  Gave up 2 first downs on defense and won 47 to 0.  Also made out first PAT (kick) in about 6 tries  ;D... not bad for 7/8 team!  We sit at 4 - 0 and atop our division... a lot of football ahead of us, starting with a tough Inglewood team next week.

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2012, 09:22:28 AM »
Doug

Oboya La Jolla!! Keep them going, you have the boys starting to believe. Great Job!

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2012, 10:00:29 AM »
Got real lucky today that we were playing a pretty cool chapter.  Seems a scheduling mishap had us thinking an 11AM game was being played at 1PM.  They agreed to let us rush to get there when we realized at 10:45AM.  Forfeiting for our first loss would have stung!  As for the game, scored on our first two plays, the first a 60 yard off tackle and the second a 60 yard bootleg keeper.  Gave up 2 first downs on defense and won 47 to 0.  Also made out first PAT (kick) in about 6 tries  ;D... not bad for 7/8 team!  We sit at 4 - 0 and atop our division... a lot of football ahead of us, starting with a tough Inglewood team next week.
Your profile says that you are in Orange County, but you're playing Inglewood next?  Does that mean you coach in OCJAAF?  Does Inglewood mean the Inglewood Jets?  Good league - lot's of good athletes.  I've been coaching in Southern Cal for almost 20 years, but never coached in or against OCJAAF - I know it's a good league, though.  I'm down in San Diego now.  Good to see another So Cal guy here.  Good job getting to 4-0 ... keep it rolling!!  Good luck, coach!! 

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »
The details of our game are covered elsewhere, but we won 25-8.  We're at 3-3.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline lost episodes

• Silver
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2012, 01:23:23 PM »
We won 37-0 BUT our test is this Saturday against 2times Superbowl champs!

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2012, 04:31:21 PM »
Still not tested. We won 36-0. One first down given up by our backups. We also blocked a punt.

Offline CoachDavidP

• Silver
  • (Fizzlife)
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2012, 07:16:53 PM »
5-1 after todays 32-6 win. Locked up our playoff spot, first in our division with two games left to play. Need to play well against our opponent next weekend to help our offense continue believing in themselves. Our O-line played much better today.
David (Fizzlife)

Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

Offline coach.Z

• Copper
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #146 on: September 30, 2012, 10:06:52 PM »
Your profile says that you are in Orange County, but you're playing Inglewood next?  Does that mean you coach in OCJAAF?  Does Inglewood mean the Inglewood Jets?  Good league - lot's of good athletes.  I've been coaching in Southern Cal for almost 20 years, but never coached in or against OCJAAF - I know it's a good league, though.  I'm down in San Diego now.  Good to see another So Cal guy here.  Good job getting to 4-0 ... keep it rolling!!  Good luck, coach!!

Yes, we're OCJAAF and this week will be our 2nd Jets team we play (they field 3 teams at our age level).  For three quarters we were in a dog fight with they first Inglewood team we played.  Team really responded in the 4th quarter and we won 31 -19, but those 19 are the only points put on us so far.  The league has good athletes, but the coaching is spotty.  Inglewood, Carson, Baldwin Hills and Bellflower are always tough because they have the coaching to backup the athletes.  Congrats on the 6-0 start, I know it doesn't come without a lot of hard work.  This site has been an invaluable resource as I'm just starting my football coaching journey... 20 years, wow.  Not sure if I'll make 2 decades of late night film breakdowns on HUDL.  :-\

Offline bigshel

• Silver
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #147 on: October 01, 2012, 01:52:47 AM »
We're 5-0 now after a 22-0 win over a quality opponent today.  The score is a bit misleading.  This is a well, coached and disciplined team.  Two forced turnovers broke open a close game.  I'm sure we'll see them again in the playoffs.

Offline coachmiket

• Silver
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #148 on: October 01, 2012, 10:43:29 AM »
We beat the other undefeated team in our conference, 24-12,  to move to 6-0.  One more regualr season game this week, then the playoffs.  This win officially clinched the #1 seed.

They came in giving up only 7 points total in 5 games, while averaging 33 points per game.  We won the toss, took the ball and scored on the opening play of the game.  From there it was a battle.  They were a very physical DW team, but they never put together a full drive.  It would be 1 or two first downs, then our D would stiffen and stop them on downs or force a turnover.  They broke a long run on a cutback where our CB had horrible backside pursuit.  Game tied 6-6.

We answered back with a nice drive capped off by a short catch and a long run up the sideline by our big TE.  They answered back with running the QB wedge and then having him burst out the side after a couple yards and we were stunned.  12-12.

4th quarter, about 5-6 minutes left, they punt us down to our own 5 yard line.  We fumbled on the second play.  They've got first and goal at about the 6.  It comes to 3rd and goal at the 1 foot line and we stop them twice.  Our ball and two plays later out TB breaks one and he's gone.  18-12 lead.  With about 2 minutes left, they fumbled in the backfield and our blitzing safety picked it up and took it to the house to seal the deal.

It was a battle.  Our top TB lost 2 or 3 fumbles, very unlike him.  Our reliable FB lost a fumble.  Luckily our D was up to the challenge, recovering 1-2 fumbles as well and coming up with a huge interception when they tried to run a sweep and then throwback to the QB bootlegging up the sideline.  CB stayed home and made the pick.

If all goes well, we will face these guys in the semifinals in 3 weeks.

Offline DL

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
« Reply #149 on: October 01, 2012, 11:56:20 AM »
We had a rematch with a team we beat 32-18 in week 2.  We're playing with a lot more confidence now and we took care of business pretty easily tonight, winning 33-6.  We were up 20-0 at halftime and emptied the bench in second half (actually before that).  It was a fun evening.  We're 6-0 now.  We have a rematch next week with the team we beat 30-27 in week 4 - they were everyone's preseason favorite to win our league title this year, but they lost today, 14-0, to the other undefeated team in our league, who we play in the last game of the regular season in two weeks.  I'm really looking forward to that game, but I don't want to look past this week's game.  One at a time ...

My QBs passing stats for the game:  15-25-207, 4 TDs, no picks.  QB Rating: 182.4.  Cumulative team passing stats for the year (6 games): 65-125-1078, 17 TDs, 1 INT.  Passer Rating: 167.7.  We also had 18 rushes for 118 yards, and 17 first downs for the game, which was called about midway through the 4th quarter.  On the season, we've had about 25 drops, or our passing stats would be a whole lot better.  We haven't really been running the ball all that well, admittedly, but we do just well enough to keep the opposition off balance.

Coach what type of offense are you running out of curiousity.    Really nice passing numbers.   

I find a good downfield  passing attack is so difficult to contend with in youth football.    It just keeps your defense honest.   One team we played had a good QB and a huge fast tall receiver and basically their passing game was primarily the fade or Go route to him off of playaction.     Simple to learn and tough to stop without a corner AND a safety over top.    Problem is then the safety can't be aggressive on the run so it takes 2 guys out of run coverage.   Line doesn't give a read either.   

We don't really keep stats and all our stats are pretty much 1st half because we are garbage timing most teams.   But we are completing fewer, but a better precentage.   We are averaging a little over 2 passing td's a game in one half of work.    Probably 3 completions or so per scoring drive.     

I am lucky that we are having few drops because 3 of our kids have great hands (plus we catch the ball about 100+ times a day in practice).

We still get them though.