Author Topic: 2012 RESULTS THREAD  (Read 61731 times)

Offline Steve

• Copper
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: DC 46
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Positions
Re: 2012 RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2012, 08:51:52 PM »
Steve

I have met him a few times, real nice guy. When I coached 8A here he was the man, then took the Valdosta job. I know several people that know him well.

Joe
i talked to him at the singlewing site. seemed like a great guy. i dvred 2 of the blue darters games and watch them all the time. he would answer any questions i had.

steve

Offline CoachDavidP

• Silver
  • (Fizzlife)
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2012, 09:09:33 PM »
Week 1, win. 6-0.

Defense was bringing it. A few mistakes with our dogs getting sucked in and losing contain, but the help bailed them out. 1 first down in the first half, 2 in the second. We 'moved the ball' well on defense for the offense. Offense has it's struggles, but it really is a between the tackles power ball control style offense that probably won't lead to alot of points this season.

After a 8-1 season two years ago (thanks to a couple studs and one of the fastes 9 year olds in the state of Michigan), last season we were 0-9. A couple tough, gut wrenching losses where the kids played their heart out. Those returning players this season were so relieved to get this win early. Even 6-0, I'll take it today, we'll get back at it tuesday.
David (Fizzlife)

Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

Offline Steve

• Copper
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2012, 10:02:33 PM »
Week 1, win. 6-0.

Defense was bringing it. A few mistakes with our dogs getting sucked in and losing contain, but the help bailed them out. 1 first down in the first half, 2 in the second. We 'moved the ball' well on defense for the offense. Offense has it's struggles, but it really is a between the tackles power ball control style offense that probably won't lead to alot of points this season.

After a 8-1 season two years ago (thanks to a couple studs and one of the fastes 9 year olds in the state of Michigan), last season we were 0-9. A couple tough, gut wrenching losses where the kids played their heart out. Those returning players this season were so relieved to get this win early. Even 6-0, I'll take it today, we'll get back at it tuesday.
a win is a win, you guys should be happy. congrats coach.

Offline CoachDavidP

• Silver
  • (Fizzlife)
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2012, 10:34:11 PM »
Thank you Steve. Definitely happy this one is in the books.
David (Fizzlife)

Offline CoachRock

• Copper
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: 46
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 10:52:09 PM »
We took one on the chin and I am pretty upset about it. My Centers basically hand delivered the game to them. We had 12 bad snaps, 5 which went over the QBs head and we ended up losing 4 of those and 1 was safety.

My QB was 7/15 for 50 yards with a late INT. We had 3 drops and our perimeter blocking was terrible at best. We run a Gun Wing-T and they basically dared us to pass by leaving our slots uncovered. They kept at least 7 in the box, but honestly if we could have gotten good snaps we would have gashed them. There was 1 point in time where we had 5 bad snaps in a row and it was game over.

My defense was actually really good but when the other teams starts 4 drives inside the 20 it gets pretty hard. They had about 100 yards of offense total. They ran 60 something plays to our 34 but out of those 34 plays we actually only ran 22 because we had 12 bad snaps from 3 different centers.

I had linemen totally ignoring the blocking rules and going rogue. Mind you we had 4 scrimmages and one against a team that made our Super Bowl last year and we dominated every scrimmage scoring 26 TDs and giving up 6 total.

I don't know if it was first game jitters or what. We have some great kids and some really good athletes so I am going to chalk it up as nerves as this was the first game for the majority of our offensive linemen. We are really going to tighten the reigns next week and since we don't have a game next week we have 2 weeks to refocus and get ready for Game #2.

Still scratching my head!

Offline billb7581

• Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 11:08:07 PM »
We were totally outmanned.   All we could do is wedge, we couldn't get wide on them or complete a pass, they just had ridiculous speed at every position, crowded the line with 9-10 guys, so we had problems getting them all blocked, and even when we did get wide, our RB just got caught from behind.

Offline Hurricane

• Copper
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 11:37:02 PM »
Lost our Jamboree 21-0 in 1 half of play to last years League champs.  Defense did well forced 2 fumbles against their starting O. Our offense is a bag of mixed emotions, our offensive line blocked lights out only problem is our backs refused to hit the gap.  After giving up some bad field position they scored thier first TD and after that we subbed in our 2nd teams for the second quarter so everyone had an equal amount of playing time, allowing them to add on 2 more TD's since they left their starters in on offense.

Offline CoachBrown

• Copper
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2012, 05:06:32 PM »
We took one on the chin and I am pretty upset about it. My Centers basically hand delivered the game to them. We had 12 bad snaps, 5 which went over the QBs head and we ended up losing 4 of those and 1 was safety.

My QB was 7/15 for 50 yards with a late INT. We had 3 drops and our perimeter blocking was terrible at best. We run a Gun Wing-T and they basically dared us to pass by leaving our slots uncovered. They kept at least 7 in the box, but honestly if we could have gotten good snaps we would have gashed them. There was 1 point in time where we had 5 bad snaps in a row and it was game over.

My defense was actually really good but when the other teams starts 4 drives inside the 20 it gets pretty hard. They had about 100 yards of offense total. They ran 60 something plays to our 34 but out of those 34 plays we actually only ran 22 because we had 12 bad snaps from 3 different centers.

I had linemen totally ignoring the blocking rules and going rogue. Mind you we had 4 scrimmages and one against a team that made our Super Bowl last year and we dominated every scrimmage scoring 26 TDs and giving up 6 total.

I don't know if it was first game jitters or what. We have some great kids and some really good athletes so I am going to chalk it up as nerves as this was the first game for the majority of our offensive linemen. We are really going to tighten the reigns next week and since we don't have a game next week we have 2 weeks to refocus and get ready for Game #2.

Still scratching my head!

Do you run any jet or rocket motions? Also, how are you blocking the perimeter? A good way to make them pay for not covering the slot is run bubble screens to him. Since he will be out flanking the backer, all you'll need is a good block from the WR.

Offline TigerMOJO

• Bronze
  • makeitdowhatitdobaby
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2012, 05:32:15 PM »
Thought I'd add to the Convo...

My lil 1st graders did great! We won 20-6 with 2 TD's called back. They are really catching on! Only 2 fumbled snaps all game and caused 2 and recovered 1. This has been a fun year so far...find myself more relaxed then I ever have been coaching. They keep me rolling!!! Off this weekend so going to try to install my next 4 plays...and the Wedge!!
Pain is Temporary...Pride is Forever!

A Champion will do what a loser won't do to succeed!!

Who Am I?

Offline CoachRock

• Copper
  • Defense: 46
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2012, 06:09:16 PM »
Do you run any jet or rocket motions? Also, how are you blocking the perimeter? A good way to make them pay for not covering the slot is run bubble screens to him. Since he will be out flanking the backer, all you'll need is a good block from the WR.

Coach Brown that's the thing is we did throw the bubbles early and often and darn WRs kept missing their blocks. We were getting good yards but then boom snap over the head of the QB. Never got a chance to really get a drive going. We only had 2 Turnover on downs. Everything else was a Turnover. You would have thought be just broke out the Shot Gun that game and we have been in it since day one and haven't had a bad snaps in weeks.

We had a few good runs on Jets and had a perfect Speed Option Set-up off the Rocket Motion and the WB drops the pitch and they recover, this was after we picked up 15 on a bubble screen and had moved it to their 40 and had first down.

We run:

Buck
Trap
Power
Jet
Speed Option (With Rocket Motion)

Offline CoachJohn

• Benefactors
  • Gold
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Offense: DC Wing T
  • Title: Administration
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2012, 09:05:04 PM »
Lost 0-20.

(Record: 0-1-0)

It was one of those games you wish you had back.  We could have passed on them all day, but lost my QB early in the 1st quarter.  The pass really could have set up the run against their defense.  My OT's did not block well and my backs where getting hit early and often in the backfield.  Cleaned up the OT issue by putting in my back up TE and FB.  We were able to move the ball a bit better, but not good enough to score.  OT's need some extra attention this week.

Defensively we did good, but allowed three TD's.  Using Jacks 63 we controlled the off-tackle and 90% of the inside runs.  They threw 2 passes, Mike picked the first off, the second was dropped by the BS OLB.  We also recovered a fumble.

We had no penalties, no turnovers, two bad snaps (both recovered) and one bad play call (lol, even coaches screw up).

« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:06:49 PM by CoachJohn »
"One who gains strength by overcoming obstacles possesses the only strength which can overcome adversity." - Albert Schweitzer

Offline coachmiket

• Silver
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2012, 03:13:14 PM »
Played a SW team last Saturday night.  Won 24-14.  They had two long runs, one that was a TD and one that setup their second score. Our DE's lost contain on both plays.

Our first two TD's were interceptions that we returned for the score.  On consecutive possessions.  Offense was solid.  Our spread/jet stuff wasn't as effective as we would have liked.  But our power game was working well.  Unfortunately, we turned the ball over twice inside the other team's 30 yard line in the second half.  So an 18-0 lead shrunk to 18-14 in the 4th quarter.  But we had a really nice drive where our starting offense ripped off a nice run, then our second offense picked up two first downs and then our QB took one in himself and we finished them off.

Things were sloppy.  We'll clean them up.  Our best back has a plate in his shoulder and has developed a habit of lowering his head when a defender approaches to sheild his shoulder.  We've been trying to break the habit, but on the very first play of the game he got called for it.  Two plays later he was blocking on a QB sweep and his facemask made contact with the defender's facemask at the point of impact as he was loading his hands and crushed the kid.  They flag him again and warn our HC that one more and the kid is ejected.  We sat him for a bit to talk to him and get him composed.

It seems like every time we play at this stadium there are issues with the refs.  We go back out there in two weeks so we'll see if the pattern continues.  They make some mysterious calls.  Our QB had a long run and finally got held up by two tacklers for what seemed like forever.  Another defender comes flying in, helmet first, and gives him a shot, then they finally blow the play dead.  It's like they were waiting for the defense to strip the ball or something. 

Offline JohnM71

• Copper
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 08:44:30 AM »
Lost 27-0.  We played an A vs B format.  The A team moved the ball well but turned it over twice.  The B team got flat out smoked during their two quarters.   As always it was very humbling to lose that way.  As the OC this season, I have lots of work to do to have them ready for this Saturday....

Offline Tripwire

• Silver
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2012, 05:18:31 PM »
Game 2 in the bag.

Won 37-6.  They scored 6 immediately on a play off tackle where they cracked out OLB really nicely with their wide out, then made a move on our Corner and was off to the races.  We tackled him but they got a dumb penalty and put them on the 1 and they punched it in.  Tightened up after that and shut them down.

Our offense looked crisp.  1 bad snap under center and a fumble on the very first drive (drove about 60 yards and fumbled at the 10).  After that we looked great, driving down the field with off tackle stuff, the wedge looked great when we used it and the blocking is starting to get there.  Everything improved from week 1 which is our goal every week.  Only ran 7 total plays in the game.  Not adding new stuff until we perfect what we have, then add about 1 a week as we go.

Practice this week was really good.  Tightned up our offensive backfield and got them going in the right direction.  Everything was lazy in the first game.  HUDL helped a ton, we were able to show them what they were doing wrong and correct it this week.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Offline CoachDavidP

• Silver
  • (Fizzlife)
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2012, 06:55:18 PM »
2-0. Won 32-0. (32 is the mercy rule)

Not much of a challenge today. Just plain outmatched them. Good opportunity to let a lot of kids play a lot of different positions that they don't normally play in a game but do in practice.  Big test will be next week.
David (Fizzlife)