Author Topic: 2012 RESULTS THREAD  (Read 61736 times)

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: 2012 RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #150 on: October 01, 2012, 03:17:29 PM »
Beat a bad team 32-0 to go to 3-1.

Played well.  Went through the game video, and while we still have issues, the kids executed better.  Blocking was significantly better overall, both in assignment and execution.  While it seems we've gotten better every week, it's hard to tell as our opponents have gotten worse every week.

Over the past 4 years, we have given up several first play TD's, not sure why.  It's nice to get one ourselves; our LWB went 53 yards on a power right the first play of the game.  He didn't even have to make a move on a defender until he was 7 yards down the field.  He also scored on a 52 yard blast off tackle in the third quarter.  Actually scored on a jet sweep from about 50 yards out too, but that was called back due to a very stupid block in the back penalty.

Got two more kids into the end zone for the first time this year, so all 8 of our backs (including QB's) have scored TD's.

We scored our last TD towards the end of the 3rd quarter, which triggered the slaughter rule (28+ point differential); part of which is to kick off from the 20.  We kicked deep, and wouldn't you know it, kid breaks it down the sideline, we caught him on the 7 yard line.  HC and I were on the fence about letting them in, since then we would have been able to run our full O vs. just run between the tackles.  First play, QB sneaks it down to the 2, so HC says screw it and puts in our goal line D (60 GUTS for other users of JJ's D) just to give it a work out, and we stuffed them.  We wedged it out a bit, then bogged down and punted, so we got a rep of punt team.

We have a VERY bad team coming in this weekend, worse than this week's team.  To the tune of they lost 38-7 to the team we beat last week 33-6.  I'm not quite sure how I'm going to handle this week.  Will probably put up a thread in the DW section, actually.

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
« Reply #151 on: October 01, 2012, 04:27:06 PM »
We evened out at 2 and 2 this week after starting 0-2.

The game was a little frustrating...had two kids out sick, another on a family vacation, the family vacation kid was the only one I knew about prior to game day...so we had to scramble to get things right...new crew at the field, they didn't realize they were officiating a 5 year old game...some silly calls were made...and it was raining  ::)

Second week in a row our offense consumed the entire first quarter with our opening drive...pretty darn impressive for 5 year olds. Up 12-0 at half time...end up trailing in the 4th 15-12 (yes, we surrendered a safety)...got the ball back with about 2 minutes left, drove down the field and scored the go ahead TD with 34 seconds on the clock. I was hoping we hadn't left too much time on the clock...the bad guys had 3 times outs left. But the defense stood firm, took good angles and got the flags pulled as time expired...

None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Offline CoachDavidP

• Silver
  • (Fizzlife)
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #152 on: October 01, 2012, 04:58:20 PM »
The game was a little frustrating...had two kids out sick, another on a family vacation, the family vacation kid was the only one I knew about prior to game day

That is frustrating. We had two starters not show up on time this week, one ended up not showing up at all.

The good thing was we got the opportunity to teach the 'nobody is bigger than the team' lesson.  We weigh in at halftime of the game before us, and it is our rule, if you miss that, you don't play the first half. Our starting RB and our Reaper on D got to sit out the first half.  By the time he touched the ball in the third qtr, we were already winning 25-6. He hated sitting and the team got to see we were willing to do it. (Although, I could see in my HC's eyes he was waivering.... :( )

Good win coach.
David (Fizzlife)

Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
  • "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." - V. Lombardi
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
« Reply #153 on: October 01, 2012, 06:43:17 PM »
Coach what type of offense are you running out of curiousity.    Really nice passing numbers.   

I find a good downfield  passing attack is so difficult to contend with in youth football.    It just keeps your defense honest.   One team we played had a good QB and a huge fast tall receiver and basically their passing game was primarily the fade or Go route to him off of playaction.     Simple to learn and tough to stop without a corner AND a safety over top.    Problem is then the safety can't be aggressive on the run so it takes 2 guys out of run coverage.   Line doesn't give a read either.   

We don't really keep stats and all our stats are pretty much 1st half because we are garbage timing most teams.   But we are completing fewer, but a better precentage.   We are averaging a little over 2 passing td's a game in one half of work.    Probably 3 completions or so per scoring drive.     

I am lucky that we are having few drops because 3 of our kids have great hands (plus we catch the ball about 100+ times a day in practice).

We still get them though.
We run a basic 2x2 spread - a few different formations, but they're variations of the same basic theme.  For the running game we run jet sweep, power, stretch power (a read concept), OSZ, ISZ, and counter.  For screens we run smoke & bubble to the WRs, RB Slow Screen and Sprintout Throwback Screen (we'll install that this week).  Quick game consists of Stick, Slant/Wheel, Switch, All Slants and Spacing (haven't installed yet), and the 5-step game consists of shallow, 4-verts, smash, mesh, sail and naked boot, plus a few play action passes.  We had 14 drops in the first 2 games (when I was still figuring out who could really catch the ball and who couldn't) but only 2-3 per game since.

We've been outsized in every game, so it's been very difficult to run between the tackles, although we have gotten some good yardage on trap.  Frankly, my RBs aren't very good and I don't have very good team speed, although surprisingly jet sweep has been our most productive running play.  I guess we block it okay (or maybe our competition just isn't very good).   I'm not going to take the time to pull together our rushing stats right now, but I think our best game was about 29-173, and our average is probably around 20-110.  We're pretty darn close to 50-50 pass to run balance, although we have substantially more yards passing (as we should, or we shouldn't throw so much).  I'd have to run the numbers to be sure, but I'm pretty certain we're averaging over 15 first downs per game - probably right around 17 would be my guess.

I'm not sure off the top of my head what our 4th down conversions are, but I think it's something like 6 for 8.  We've converted at least three 4th and 15+ plays - pretty tough to do without an ability to throw effectively.  Both the kids and I have a high level of confidence that we can make a play in any situation against any opponent.

The thing I'm most proud proud of is that we don't have one, or even two, big stud receivers - we distribute the ball around - most games at least 6 different receivers have at least one catch, and the leading receiver usually has no more than about 5 or 6 catches.  My QB understands his reads and throws to the open guy.  We have at least 6 guys that I feel very comfortable throwing the ball to - if the defense takes someone away, we just throw it to somebody else.  We've had 10 different kids catch the ball for us this year.  I know this situation is pretty rare in youth ball, but we've worked really hard training these kids how to catch. 

Here are our passing numbers for each game:

Game 1: 4-17-113, 2 TDs, 0 INT, Passer Rating: 118.2
Game 2: 4-17-149, 3 TDs, 0 INT, PR: 155.4
Game 3: 11-20-151, 2 TDs, 0 INT, PR: 151.4
Game 4: 19-27-258, 3 TDs, 1 INT, PR: 179.9
Game 5: 12-19-200, 3 TDs, 0 INT, PR: 203.7
Game 6: 15-25-207, 4 TDs, 0 INT, PR: 182.4

Cumulative: 65-125-1078, 17 TD, 1 INT, PR: 167.7
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:53:41 AM by coachdoug »

Offline DL

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
« Reply #154 on: October 02, 2012, 12:27:00 PM »
Game 1: 4-17-113, 2 TDs, 0 INT, Passer Rating: 118.2
Game 2: 4-17-149, 3 TDs, 0 INT, PR: 155.4
Game 3: 11-20-151, 2 TDs, 0 INT, PR: 151.4
Game 4: 19-27-258, 3 TDs, 1 INT, PR: 179.9
Game 5: 12-19-200, 3 TDs, 0 INT, PR: 203.7
Game 6: 15-25-207, 4 TDs, 0 INT, PR: 182.4

Cumulative: 65-125-1078, 17 TD, 1 INT, PR: 167.7

Nice.  Great job coach that has to be fun to see.   We are mainly in a 2x2 with some 3x2 out of a 5 yard shot gun.   We motion almost every play and often we are faking a jet sweep.

I don't have a real good idea of our numbers of completions at this point.   I'm pretty sure we've had 7 different kids catch balls in a game and 4 of them have t.d.'s.    Ironically, our leading receiver (in terms of receptions) has yet to score.   He is so light that he goes down really easy and he isn't quite fast or elusive enough to break the big one.   Hands like glue though.

We would have had one for him last week, but the HC accidently called the wrong play.  First couple of games we mainly ran the ball, but now we are passing about 1/2 the time.   

I think with our team this year we could pass every down and still win all our games.   We could probably run every down and win too against all but 2 teams.

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
  • "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." - V. Lombardi
  • Defense: Other
« Reply #155 on: October 02, 2012, 01:11:47 PM »
that has to be fun to see.
I'll post some video after the season is over.

Offline btwilli1

• Copper
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #156 on: October 05, 2012, 11:29:14 PM »
We are running cisar single wing with a balanced line.  We had our first game against a formidable opponent.  We haven't installed a wedge yet so we are running sainted 5, 31 trap, 18 sweep, 16 power, 43 reverse, 18 sweep pass. 

We won 7 to 6.  The 31 Trap worked every time but our QB and FB keep having problems hitting the 6 vs always popping out to the 8.  My stud QB did an even bigger sin he kept trying to get something out of nothing and going backwards.   That will be nipped in the butt at practice this week. 

Wedge is going in this week, we have 3 more tough games and we need that as a big piece to be more successful on offense against a tough team. 

Hoping to get Mouse and some spinner installed for our last few games.  First things first, on a 16 power hit the 6 hole.  I neglect my running backs on fundies  I should get some more focus on that I think.  I let their natural talent allow me to focus on other fundies with the rest of the team. 

It was an intense win.  Can't believe the high you get from coaching these little guys.  I see how weaker coaches can really let it go to their heads and forget it's about the kids.  Playing against weaker teams doesn't give you proud nervous feeling.

Offline Tripwire

• Silver
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2012, 07:06:40 AM »
We are running cisar single wing with a balanced line. 

I have never heard of a SW with a balanced line!  Thats blasphemy!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #158 on: October 06, 2012, 07:20:40 AM »
A bunch of teams used to run it balanced in the olden days :) . The advantage of running it unbalanced is that you only need to pull one. In a balanced line you are more of a threat running left or right. Guys with weird local league rules will adjust Dave's stuff and make it work for them. I always preferred wedge from balanced. Or are you being facetious and I didn't pick up on it?

Offline Tripwire

• Silver
« Reply #159 on: October 06, 2012, 07:49:45 AM »
A bunch of teams used to run it balanced in the olden days :) . The advantage of running it unbalanced is that you only need to pull one. In a balanced line you are more of a threat running left or right. Guys with weird local league rules will adjust Dave's stuff and make it work for them. I always preferred wedge from balanced. Or are you being facetious and I didn't pick up on it?

Yea was just messing around lol!  But good info non-the-less!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Offline davecisar

• Platinum
    • Winning Youth Football Coaching Site
« Reply #160 on: October 06, 2012, 08:24:39 AM »
We are running cisar single wing with a balanced line.  We had our first game against a formidable opponent.  We haven't installed a wedge yet so we are running sainted 5, 31 trap, 18 sweep, 16 power, 43 reverse, 18 sweep pass. 

We won 7 to 6.  The 31 Trap worked every time but our QB and FB keep having problems hitting the 6 vs always popping out to the 8.  My stud QB did an even bigger sin he kept trying to get something out of nothing and going backwards.   That will be nipped in the butt at practice this week. 

Wedge is going in this week, we have 3 more tough games and we need that as a big piece to be more successful on offense against a tough team. 

Hoping to get Mouse and some spinner installed for our last few games.  First things first, on a 16 power hit the 6 hole.  I neglect my running backs on fundies  I should get some more focus on that I think.  I let their natural talent allow me to focus on other fundies with the rest of the team. 

It was an intense win.  Can't believe the high you get from coaching these little guys.  I see how weaker coaches can really let it go to their heads and forget it's about the kids.  Playing against weaker teams doesn't give you proud nervous feeling.

Coach

DONT put in spinner now
PERFECT the wedge
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.

Winston Churchill

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #161 on: October 06, 2012, 09:47:13 AM »
I agree 100%. We install the wedge on day one. Similar to zone and option it is never truly installed and must be constantly repped. We are a totally different team when the wedge is working. It opens everything else up or everything else opens the wedge. They have to pick their poison. With a bunch of our starting o-line back from last year our wedge is nasty this year.

Offline shawnm

• Copper
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
« Reply #162 on: October 06, 2012, 02:58:35 PM »

Coach,  We run a Cisar's single wing with balanced line also.  We won our last game Thursday night 32-0 and are 5-0 in our league.  We are averaging 37 points per game with what I'd call pretty average talent.  We have all base plays installed plus "Spinner" and "Burst".  One of the keys that I've found with balance line is coaching up both left and right guard to be able to pull.  If you run Wedge you'll need a decent Center also.  The key's to your guards is quickness.  We like to pull the left guard on power, but we will also pull the right guard depending upon what the defense is doing.   You need a little more line talent with balanced single wing but we've been able to coach up small quick players to play guard.  Left guard is quickest, Right guard must love contact. We do everything possible to make power work,  We can run power about 5-6 different ways with "G" calls  in our case "GR"  or "GL"    and with nasty tunnel.  Burst 26 Power "GR"  is a great play for us too.    We recently put in a few Mouse plays but only because we are getting scouted real heavily because we are #1 in league right now and didn't have a good pass play out of our motion with spinner.

Good luck and let me know if you need help.  There is lots of help on this board.     

Offline belebuch

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Other
« Reply #163 on: October 06, 2012, 03:02:57 PM »
3-0
26-16

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #164 on: October 06, 2012, 06:20:27 PM »
Today, opening round 2 of our triple round robin in the Warrior Pee Wees, our Ralph Giordano Funeral Home Saints lost 0-14 to the McNulty Funeral Home Rams.  However, our defense squad gave up only 2 single point run conversions, both in the 1st half.  Our Arben Kukaj opened with a kickoff that bounced over the head of one of the Ram deep receivers, who went back, bobbled it, recovered, and then saw 3 Saints attempt (poorly) to tackle him within 5 yds. of where he caught it deep in his territory, and ran from there for a TD.  The other TD we gave up came in the closing seconds of the half as Kenyette Belle's pass on a double crossing pattern we'd recently installed was picked off by the Rams' ace and run back about 60 yards.

Other than that, the Rams never threatened the entire game, while we put together some decent drives that sputtered.  Although in this week's practices we got Kenyette to carry out fakes, he reverted in the game to watching the play after handing off, which didn't exactly do wonders for the plays where the handoff was a fake and he kept.  With just 4 or 5 sometimes in the box, the Rams still mostly snuffed our inside running game, although we made some hay faking inside and pitching out.

The Rams go to 4-0 while we're now 1-3, alone in the basement as the Black Knights beat the Javelins in the early game 13-7.  Writeups of previous games are at http://www.eteamz.com/bronxwarriorsfootball/news/index.cfm?cat=501800