Author Topic: 2012 RESULTS THREAD  (Read 61740 times)

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: 2012 RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #165 on: October 06, 2012, 08:34:18 PM »
So Bob - this year, how many returns for TD's has your team given up?  I could have sworn they gave one up earlier in the season too.

Offline coach.Z

• Copper
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #166 on: October 06, 2012, 10:36:34 PM »
Had one of those grind it out games today.  A much better than 2-2 team came in to town for our first home game this year.  We put the ball on the ground 4 times in the first half and gave up our first 3 turnovers of the season (in game #5).  Came out in the 2nd half with a slim 6-0 lead.  Lost our QB/MLB for the majority of the 2nd half with a knee injury.  Backup threw an INT and the offense sputtered... defense never quit and we pulled out a 12-0 win to improve to 5-0 for the season.  First and most likely last time I'll say it this year, but the refs almost had us playing 11 on 13 for most the game.  Obvious holds on the edge allowed a couple big plays for them and 2 fumble recoveries for us whistled dead (in error IMO).  It wasn't pretty, but the team showed a lot of heart today.

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #167 on: October 07, 2012, 01:14:00 AM »
So Bob - this year, how many returns for TD's has your team given up?  I could have sworn they gave one up earlier in the season too.
No, those were the only two (KO & interception runbacks).  You may be remembering a Blue Devils game from 2011.  Different team, different season.

The good news was that this week we had no offsides, false start, mouth guard, or formation calls -- indeed, hardly any fouls at all, while the Rams had a few.  We have some players wildly inconsistent; Anthony Bobbit at CB will make some very good tackles, and sometimes flub a piece of cake tackle in front of him, but he does have make-up speed and plays the ball very well on passes.  We had him last year with the Blue Devils as well.  Coach Eric lines him up in a way I criticized at first, but now I see its value.  He lines up right on the line of scrimmage, facing inward, a yard or so outside the WR.  This way he sees the play develop instantly, and although he appears to give up the inside, his speed allows him to come from behind to get in front of the receiver if he slants in.  I'd honestly be afraid to use such a formation; I want a body in the way rather than a line of sight.  But Eric gets away with it, and I can't say I'm displeased with the result.

We had been hoping to get some good blocking out of Nic Apollon at TE, but that hasn't materialized.  He does, however, anchor one side of the DL very well, so we may switch to playing him on defense only and give another player 2-way status.  Nic was the one of whom I wrote of my frustration in a rip-and-release-inside blocking drill.

One thing that bothers me on game day is usually not knowing the offensive plays we're calling.  I don't have a copy of what's on the wrist coach, but I also haven't asked for one, because I typically like to view from an angle about 25 yards up- or downfield from the line of scrimmage, so I'm not close to HC-OC Kenny who's sending in the plays.  Also, the sideline rules we have would prohibit me some of the time from standing where he is.  So, for instance, I don't know to look for key blocks on certain plays.  Also, even from my angle, I can't tell whether a DL is in a gap or straight up on an OL -- but then, I don't know of any coaches anywhere who can.  So, for instance, I can't tell whether our C & Gs are using the double team steps I taught them for a DL in the POA gap on our FB blast plays.  Considering how quickly, for instance, our QB forgot to carry out fakes (wanting to watch the play instead, it seems), I suspect our other players are forgetting just as much.

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
« Reply #168 on: October 07, 2012, 10:50:53 AM »
31-0 win.  Ran two plays all game - blast left, blast right.  Our last 3 possessions ran nothing but TB blast right to a lineman, scored on each drive.  Waste of a morning except getting 3 kids that don't run the ball into the end zone.

BIG game next weekend.

Offline Pantherlinecoach

• Bronze
  • If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is not 4 U
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 6-2
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #169 on: October 07, 2012, 11:33:48 AM »
Won 36-12 to move to 4-1 on the season with our only loss so far being a 39-26 loss with the absence of our top gun on both sides of the ball. Offense is clicking well. Getting ready for a tough haul to end the season though. Should be interesting"

Offline coachmiket

• Silver
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #170 on: October 07, 2012, 11:42:33 AM »
We won an easy one 27-0.  Regular season is complete at 7-0.  We have to reel off 3 more to win it all.  We go into the playoffs as the #1 seed in our conference and we have homefield until the final.

It was a cold, windy night last night.  Temps probably in the low 40's maybe getting into the 30's.  Wind made it worse.  We stood at the weigh-in scale for a good 15-20 minutes waiting for the other team, only to find out they were inside the school gymnasium the whole time.  This game was decided when they showed up to the scale.  At least one of their coaches told us to take it easy on them.  They were all sorts of disorganized.

As to the game, our stud TB had 2 carries and we yanked him.  Our FB broke a long run on the opening drive to start things.  Then our WB who seldom carries the ball went untouched on a counter.  Then we hit one of our WR's on a streak route for about a 35 yard score.  His first ever TD.  It was his magic moment.  Our backup TB took a cutback run to the house in the 2nd quarter and that was all she wrote.  We got a ton of kids carries in the game.  Everybody had fun.

It was even a big night for our worst player.  Kid shows no motivation at practice, drags his feet to do everything.  Still won't willingly tackle, even when we try to set him up for success *wink*.  He plays DT for us.  Last night he made a tackle with our DE, they both got to the runner at the same time and he helped wrap the runner up and take him down.  We all realized it and started shouting his name.  He's getting up off the ground pumping his fists LOL.  We gave him a carry on wedge towards the end of the game and he even ran it hard for a short gain.

The final 3 quarters were mostly wedges and dives.  The other team requested a running clock for the second half.  They have scored 2 TD's all year and you could tell they were just wanting to be put out of their misery before this thing even started.

Onto the playoffs.  We get a rematch with a tough team that we defeated 20-8 in week 3.  They are the only team to hold a lead on us all year, as we trailed 8-6 at halftime.

Offline CoachDavidP

• Silver
  • (Fizzlife)
  • Coaching: High School
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #171 on: October 07, 2012, 11:46:14 AM »
Took one on the chin yesterday.  We had our first cold weather day and our boys didn't take well to adversity.  Opening kick-off returned for a td. We score and our kicker kicks it directly to the same mid, just over the first level of the kick return team. Another returned for a td. Undisciplined on defense giving up three td's. Which equals the total we've given up all season.

Lost 13-30.

We are now 5-2  and our two losses are against playoff teams. We were capable of beating them both, but the results are what they are. We are playing the worst team in the league this weekend. So we need to make sure the kids don't think all problems are fixed if we win big.

I did stress to the head coach that we needed to spend the week blocking and tackling as opposed to running our offenses in scrimmages all week. Hopefully he agrees....
David (Fizzlife)

Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

Offline Tripwire

• Silver
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
« Reply #172 on: October 07, 2012, 01:01:11 PM »
Won another snoozer 28-0 to go 7-0

We didn't play well either.  1 Lost Fumbled Snap, 1 quick pass dropped and fumbled, too many penalties.

Defense played ok.

Last game of the regular season next week against a 6-1 team that is also undefeated in our conference.  It will determine who gets 1st round off of playoffs.  Need that  badly or we play 1st round playoff game on Wed following our Sat game.  Would much rather play a week later  :)
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Offline lost episodes

• Silver
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #173 on: October 07, 2012, 02:19:55 PM »
We beat the 2xSuperBowl champs last night in a 13-12 game. It was a great game to be in and I could imagine to watch. We dominated on Defense giving up a long run for  85+ and almost giving a goalline stance they scored on 4th down! Then we missed 5 tackles to give up a score in the 2nd qtr. On offense the OC was scared and ran the DCWT sort of BUT the key factor was he listened to the adjustment. We moved the ball freely but only scored 2. We had about 20 1st downs to O. Very proud of my kids to be down 12-7 at half. They were scared feeling they were going to lose and I gave an emotional speech about "What it takes to beat a champion and to be a champion and if u want to get there it starts now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" HAPPY FACE FROM ME

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #174 on: October 07, 2012, 02:22:07 PM »
We beat the 2xSuperBowl champs last night in a 13-12 game. It was a great game to be in and I could imagine to watch. We dominated on Defense giving up a long run for  85+ and almost giving a goalline stance they scored on 4th down! Then we missed 5 tackles to give up a score in the 2nd qtr. On offense the OC was scared and ran the DCWT sort of BUT the key factor was he listened to the adjustment. We moved the ball freely but only scored 2. We had about 20 1st downs to O. Very proud of my kids to be down 12-7 at half. They were scared feeling they were going to lose and I gave an emotional speech about "What it takes to beat a champion and to be a champion and if u want to get there it starts now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" HAPPY FACE FROM ME

LT

Happy face from me too.... ;D

Those are the games you coach for.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
« Reply #175 on: October 07, 2012, 05:24:11 PM »
Well, we were thumped 26-7 by the (now) conference champs.  Despite my warnings to the header to not make the Beast his primary offense, he did so anyway.  He added a Counter this week and a pass, but coupled with the big splits, snaps that sailed over the QB's head and a defensive scheme that can be easily exploited by a good team, we were sunk.  Our opponent was ready to play and we're still trying to zone block with players who are confused as to what to do.  Result?  Poor blocking.  Not the kids' fault.  They tried hard, but were beat by a team that didn't make mistakes and just played solid ball.  That's really all it takes.  We looked like we'd taken 4 steps back.  The commish called me over during the 2nd Quarter to ask me "What the f$%* is going on?" and I told him, I could only make suggestions or give my opinion unless he wanted to fire the guy.  So now there's a meeting Tuesday night...

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline CoachQ

• Copper
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #176 on: October 07, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »
Well, we were thumped 26-7 by the (now) conference champs.  Despite my warnings to the header to not make the Beast his primary offense, he did so anyway.  He added a Counter this week and a pass, but coupled with the big splits, snaps that sailed over the QB's head and a defensive scheme that can be easily exploited by a good team, we were sunk.  Our opponent was ready to play and we're still trying to zone block with players who are confused as to what to do.  Result?  Poor blocking.  Not the kids' fault.  They tried hard, but were beat by a team that didn't make mistakes and just played solid ball.  That's really all it takes.  We looked like we'd taken 4 steps back.  The commish called me over during the 2nd Quarter to ask me "What the f$%* is going on?" and I told him, I could only make suggestions or give my opinion unless he wanted to fire the guy.  So now there's a meeting Tuesday night...

--Dave
Sorry, Dave when we talked you said that you were worried this would happen.  Maybe the HC will realize that Beast alone is not the answer.

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #177 on: October 07, 2012, 07:39:03 PM »
Sorry, Dave when we talked you said that you were worried this would happen.  Maybe the HC will realize that Beast alone is not the answer.
Thanks Quincy, but I'm okay with the outcome.  I don't see how there could be any other given what our players are being asked to do.  The kids didn't quit and were visibly upset after the game, so it obviously was not a question of them "not wanting it bad enough."  Either they are playing the wrong positions, or don't comprehend what they're being asked to do.  Heck, I don't comprehend what they're being asked to do.  Three weeks ago, I told the HC where a good team could exploit our defense.  In meeting with him today, he doesn't want to address the issue with the DC, preferring to say instead that it's too late in the season to make changes.  Me?  I'd throw the baby out with the bathwater.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #178 on: October 07, 2012, 08:22:51 PM »
We won 29-0 and are now 7-0. The game was called at halftime due to lightning. We ran wedge, power, sweep and counter and that was it. Nice to see we can just run our base and still dominate. Next week is a 6-1 team to see who gets the #1 seed in the northern part of our conference. They are solid talent wise and pretty well coached. This should be the first real test of the season. Hopefully, we need it before we get into the playoffs.

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
  • "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." - V. Lombardi
« Reply #179 on: October 07, 2012, 09:47:28 PM »
We had a rematch with the team we beat 30-27 a few weeks ago.  We knew they would be fired up for revenge and would make some defensive adjustments.  Just as I suspected, they played press-man on all our receivers and blitzed a ton.   They also ran the ball effectively against us - 26 carries for 295 yards (ouch!!)  Although, it should be noted that 193 of those yards came on 3 long runs, so we did okay outside of that, but those breakdowns do count and could have really hurt us.  Nonetheless, the final outcome was a 36-12 victory for us.  That puts us at 7-0 with one final regular season game against another undefeated team for top seeding in our playoffs.  The team we beat this weekend was the preseason favorite to win our championship, and they are clearly at least the 3rd best team in our league, but due to some scheduling anomalies and a bizarre forfeit (for not wearing PW patches vs a team they beat 31-0 on the field - stupid PW rules), they were eliminated from our playoffs with this loss.

Our offense produced 105 yards on 31 rushes (not great, but okay, I guess - I'm a little frustrated that we're not running the ball better).  Our starting QB went 11-16-217 and 3 TDs, no picks, passer rating of 244.6.  I finally got a backup QB some reps (my starting center, actually).  He went 2-3-24 and a PR of 133.9.  As a team we were 13-19-241, 3 TDs, PR = 227.1.  We had 14 first downs (a little below our average) to their 7, and we won the turnover battle 3-1.

Not a bad effort against a good team.  The team we play next beat this last opponent 14-0 a couple weeks ago.  It should be a good matchup.