Author Topic: 2012 RESULTS THREAD  (Read 61748 times)

Offline Coach Kyle

• Gold
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Assistant
Re: 2012 RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2012, 12:48:06 AM »
Well we got a big win today. We beat the only team in our league that was still undefeated, 31 to 7. They were 4 and 0 and we were 2 and 2.

We started out kind of rocky. They ran it to our 1 yard line on the first series, and then our nose guard both forced a fumble and recovered it, and we went nuts. Then we started playing way better than I've ever seen them play. We were chomping off big yards left and right. Then we kicked it deep and the other team muffed the kick. We got it back at the 30 and scored again. By then the other team just folded. Their coach started getting mad, and he got two penalties. They scored by running a no huddle attack where they just ran the same play over and over.

I think this is my first big upset. Feels good. I'm actually kind of upset that they didn't put up more of a fight. They were crushed by us all game long.

I can really see my contribution too. I've pretty much just been doing DP's drills off to the side with whatever kids they give me, and the kids are starting to swarm to the ball. The hits are there now, and they weren't there before. And the kids aren't making it a big deal when they're hurting anymore. I couldn't stand that.

Anyways, we just knocked out the #1 team in our division. We're well on our way.

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2012, 09:26:36 AM »
We beat the only team in our league that was still undefeated, 31 to 7. They were 4 and 0 and we were 2 and 2.

--Kyle, you made a statement today.

our nose guard both forced a fumble and recovered it, and we went nuts. Then we started playing way better than I've ever seen them play.

--Amazing what physical play and causing turnovers will do.

Their coach started getting mad, and he got two penalties.

--Teams fall apart when their coaches fall apart.

They scored by running a no huddle attack where they just ran the same play over and over.

--You'll need to deal with that at practice this week.   

I think this is my first big upset. Feels good. I'm actually kind of upset that they didn't put up more of a fight. They were crushed by us all game long.

--Goes to show that a 2-2 team can defeat an unbeaten team through physical play.

I've pretty much just been doing DP's drills off to the side with whatever kids they give me, and the kids are starting to swarm to the ball. The hits are there now, and they weren't there before. And the kids aren't making it a big deal when they're hurting anymore. I couldn't stand that.

--So what you're saying is when your kids didn't play physical, they were whiners, but now that they are playing more physical they no longer whine.  Hmmm...

Anyways, we just knocked out the #1 team in our division. We're well on our way.

--Sounds like.  Congratulations.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline Coach Kyle

• Gold
« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2012, 10:07:36 AM »
Thanks Dave.  :)

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2012, 10:36:12 AM »
Well we got a big win today. We beat the only team in our league that was still undefeated, 31 to 7. They were 4 and 0 and we were 2 and 2.

We started out kind of rocky. They ran it to our 1 yard line on the first series, and then our nose guard both forced a fumble and recovered it, and we went nuts. Then we started playing way better than I've ever seen them play. We were chomping off big yards left and right. Then we kicked it deep and the other team muffed the kick. We got it back at the 30 and scored again. By then the other team just folded. Their coach started getting mad, and he got two penalties. They scored by running a no huddle attack where they just ran the same play over and over.

I can really see my contribution too. I've pretty much just been doing DP's drills off to the side with whatever kids they give me, and the kids are starting to swarm to the ball. The hits are there now, and they weren't there before. And the kids aren't making it a big deal when they're hurting anymore. I couldn't stand that.

K

Sweet !
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2012, 11:12:35 AM »
32-19... DAWGS!

Ran Direct Snap in the game for the first time this season...been working on it in practice for a couple of weeks now...ball still hit the ground (flag, dead ball at the point it hits the ground) about 6 times, but overall, it was pretty good, considering they are 5...made the offense much faster, as the QB was already at depth to execute the handoffs...

we also worked some more on a pass play we had been working on in practice, ran it 5 times, completed it once on a try for point...and I missed it...I was talking to the cheer leaders  ::)
None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Offline Coach Kyle

• Gold
« Reply #185 on: October 08, 2012, 11:16:04 AM »
32-19... DAWGS!

Ran Direct Snap in the game for the first time this season...been working on it in practice for a couple of weeks now...ball still hit the ground (flag, dead ball at the point it hits the ground) about 6 times, but overall, it was pretty good, considering they are 5...made the offense much faster, as the QB was already at depth to execute the handoffs...

we also worked some more on a pass play we had been working on in practice, ran it 5 times, completed it once on a try for point...and I missed it...I was talking to the cheer leaders  ::)
It's a dead ball if the ball hits the ground o.O?

Offline Tripwire

• Silver
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #186 on: October 08, 2012, 12:09:22 PM »

Tiny Mite pop warner is that way (5-6 year olds)
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
« Reply #187 on: October 08, 2012, 12:41:07 PM »

Flag, no pads...they don't want 16 5 year olds diving for a loose ball...so they blow it dead....doesn't stop the 16 5 year olds from diving for it  :P
None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Offline Coach Kyle

• Gold
« Reply #188 on: October 08, 2012, 02:15:48 PM »
Oh I see.

Offline bigshel

• Silver
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #189 on: October 08, 2012, 02:32:31 PM »
Won a sleepfest 28-0 to go to 6-0 on the season.  Running clock in the second quarter.  Our effort was decent enough, but I am looking for ways to keep our team sharp through the end of the season.  Our next two games will likely be fluff, before a week 9 showdown with the only other undefeated team in our conference (barring any unforeseen upsets).

I can see the kids getting cocky to the point of overconfidence, and this is what I'm trying to avoid.  Any suggestions?

Offline Coach Kyle

• Gold
« Reply #190 on: October 08, 2012, 03:46:54 PM »
I can see the kids getting cocky to the point of overconfidence, and this is what I'm trying to avoid.  Any suggestions?
Make your practices so hard and fast that they wont have a chance to catch their breath. I'm not saying run them or anything, just get them into and out of the drill so fast that if they want to talk they'll miss it.

Also, use that to challenge them. I used to care about this "cocky" thing, but then I realized that it was just a good excuse to challenge them to be better.

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2012, 11:27:00 PM »
Well we got a big win today.
Is Mon. your usual game day, or was this a Columbus Day special?

Offline BigVince

• Copper
  • "Hard Work Pays Off"
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: Wishbone
« Reply #192 on: October 09, 2012, 12:13:32 PM »
Won this week 16-12 and currently sitting at 7-0 on the season.
We played a team outside of our conference since we had a bye week. There were a few things this other conference did differently with a coach being allowed on the field and blitzing, it took us a half to get the kids adjusted. This was the first game we went into halftime losing 6-0. We took the lead and made the kick in the third to go up 8-6. Then the other team drove the ball down the field on us and scored with just under two minutes left to go up on us 12-8. We then took the Kick Off back for a TD and made the kick to go up 16-12. Defense held to win the game. This other team had a bunch of polynesian kids that were huge for our level. their RB was pretty fast but outweighed all of our linemen. We were lucky to come out with a win.

Offline Coach Kyle

• Gold
« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2012, 12:43:27 PM »
Is Mon. your usual game day, or was this a Columbus Day special?
Lol you know me. Just partyin' till the next morning  8)

Offline Coach Kyle

• Gold
« Reply #194 on: October 09, 2012, 12:46:41 PM »
Won this week 16-12 and currently sitting at 7-0 on the season.
We played a team outside of our conference since we had a bye week. There were a few things this other conference did differently with a coach being allowed on the field and blitzing, it took us a half to get the kids adjusted. This was the first game we went into halftime losing 6-0. We took the lead and made the kick in the third to go up 8-6. Then the other team drove the ball down the field on us and scored with just under two minutes left to go up on us 12-8. We then took the Kick Off back for a TD and made the kick to go up 16-12. Defense held to win the game. This other team had a bunch of polynesian kids that were huge for our level. their RB was pretty fast but outweighed all of our linemen. We were lucky to come out with a win.
Played a game on a bye week... Polynesian kids... did you take your kids on vacation with you D=? That's such a good idea - so long as all their parents come and I don't have to watch them the whole time.