Author Topic: 2012 RESULTS THREAD  (Read 61727 times)

Offline BigVince

• Copper
  • "Hard Work Pays Off"
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: Wishbone
  • Title: Assistant
Re: 2012 RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #195 on: October 09, 2012, 02:18:53 PM »
Played a game on a bye week... Polynesian kids... did you take your kids on vacation with you D=? That's such a good idea - so long as all their parents come and I don't have to watch them the whole time.

The team they had originally scheduled us to play folded early in the season so that left us with a bye week. I was able to go outside of our conference and find us a game in another conference so we didnt have to sit a week. the area we played in is heavily polynesian, meaning that most the kids we played against were either samoan or tongan. These kids are huge. not a heavy fat kid among them just some really solid big kids. It was a real test, no vacation for the coaching staff or the kids. Fun game though.

Offline CoachDavidP

• Silver
  • (Fizzlife)
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #196 on: October 09, 2012, 03:27:58 PM »
The team they had originally scheduled us to play folded early in the season so that left us with a bye week. I was able to go outside of our conference and find us a game in another conference so we didnt have to sit a week. the area we played in is heavily polynesian, meaning that most the kids we played against were either samoan or tongan. These kids are huge. not a heavy fat kid among them just some really solid big kids. It was a real test, no vacation for the coaching staff or the kids. Fun game though.

There was a post up here recently about the percentage of Samoan or Polynesian kids that excel with football. I have no doubt that was a tough game to play. It's nice to be able to set up a game like that mid-season.
David (Fizzlife)

Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #197 on: October 09, 2012, 07:28:37 PM »
There was a post up here recently about the percentage of Samoan or Polynesian kids that excel with football. I have no doubt that was a tough game to play. It's nice to be able to set up a game like that mid-season.
Fiji & Tonga are nuts over rugby.

Offline shawnm

• Copper
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #198 on: October 10, 2012, 01:15:47 AM »
We won tonight 38-24 against a team we should have mercy ruled.  We are now 6-0 but we have defensive issues.  Luckily I got tape on this one.   Having some gap issues just not exactly sure where and what issues are.  Going to be a struggle for us to win next two before playoffs.   We are being heavily scouted and play a 5-1 team next Thursday under lights.

Offline PioneerCoach

• Copper
  • Hit, Run, Have Fun!
    • Flemington Midget Football
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
« Reply #199 on: October 10, 2012, 05:35:36 PM »

we are currently 4-2 and hold our playoff destiny in out own hands with 3 left to play.  Got the big rivalry game this weekend (they are also 4-2, winner is in teh driver's seat for the final playoff seat.  Gonna be a fun week!

-Craig
"February: I want to run triple option from the single wing, but with a pass option, too. Should the end run a post or a corner?
September: Any advice on how to get my center to snap it properly?"

Offline Meathead

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #200 on: October 12, 2012, 10:15:49 AM »
We picked up our first win of the season Wednesday night against a 2-2 team.  After a rough first quarter, we came back from a 12-0 deficit win 19-18, including a defensive stand as time expired.  We're still not playing consistently good football, but I'm very proud of our boys. 

Offline belebuch

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Title: Other
« Reply #201 on: October 12, 2012, 11:25:02 AM »
Great job Coach!

Offline Coach Kyle

• Gold
« Reply #202 on: October 12, 2012, 11:49:46 AM »
We picked up our first win of the season Wednesday night against a 2-2 team.  After a rough first quarter, we came back from a 12-0 deficit win 19-18, including a defensive stand as time expired.  We're still not playing consistently good football, but I'm very proud of our boys.
Good job! The first one always feels good.

Offline CoachDavidP

• Silver
  • (Fizzlife)
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #203 on: October 12, 2012, 11:50:50 AM »
Winless still and not just fighting for a win, overcoming a deficit to do it. Says a lot. Good job coach.
David (Fizzlife)

Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
« Reply #204 on: October 13, 2012, 05:45:16 PM »
Our team, Giordano's Funeral Home Saints, was considerably handicapped in our game vs. the Ridgewood Savings Bank Black Knights (coming off their 1st win, vs. the Javelins, last week) in the Bronx Warriors Pee Wee Div. today.  The Balidemaj brothers were missing from practice all week, and we didn't know if they would show up for the game, but they did.  However, QB, Kenyette Belle, who was also missing from practice Fri., is out for the rest of the season -- for choir practice!  And his mother didn't let our HC know until she left a phone message last night.  If I'd known he was a singer, at least he could've sung some songs for our team.  And then Dakim showed up without his mouth guard.  I asked before the game for anyone missing one to raise his hand, and nobody indicated so, but 5 mins. later he told AC Eric.  Dakim tried playing with what appeared to be a wadded up piece of tape as a mouth guard, but the referee spotted that on our 2nd defensive series and kicked him out, fortunately without a delay of game penalty, until his mother arrived with a new mouth guard.

This week we installed a play I worked up, an inside pass off the spin series we use from our empty backfield shotgun "wings" formation.  We also worked on a criss-cross reverse for that series suggested by Eric, but it wasn't really in for the game.  Good thing we practiced with Paul Turner at QB.

In the first half we were hampered by several high snaps from Nick Bracer.  We were lucky to retain possession of the ball on many series.  Our superior punting by Arben Kukaj gave us field position, but we succumbed to our frequent problem of letting someone escape to and down the sideline for a long TD, and trailed at halftime 0-6.

From a sideline perspective about 30 yds. behind the line, I noticed the Knights were in what appeared to be a ridiculous wide 4 front -- double A gap, then outside shoulder of T & TE, with a pair of LBs behind them.  However, our OL seemed clueless about what to do about it.  I pointed out that gaping bubble to our HC, and at halftime we made a simple adjustment that basically won the game for us.  Our RG & RT gave conflicting accounts of who was on them, each claiming to be covered, when that was obviously not the case.  We just had them part the sea and explode into any bubble that was there and hit the LBs behind it, so in the 2nd half that's what we did, for consistent gains on lead blast plays.

We put only one direction of the inside pass on the wrist coach, but our OL still forgot to immediately release downfield on one side.  But our receiver just turned it outside and ran to set up a TD behind the blocks that weren't supposed to be there.  The Knights' mishandling of Arben's kickoff put them on their own 15, and after a couple of exchanges of possession (one of them a shanked punt by the Knights) we had another TD and an XP run.  So we won 13-6 to go 2-3, and the Knights now tied for last at 1-3-1.  The Knights are the only team we've beaten in this triple round robin season.

In the other game, the Rams beat the Javelins 13-0 to go 5-0 and 1-3-1, respectively.  Writeups of previous games are here.

Offline belebuch

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Title: Other
« Reply #205 on: October 13, 2012, 06:11:58 PM »
Won 30-8 vs the defending champs to go 4-0

Offline Tripwire

• Silver
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #206 on: October 13, 2012, 06:19:39 PM »
Won our final game of the regular season 28-6 to go 8-0 on the regular season.

Off to the playoffs.  We got a 1st round bye and either a 1st or 2nd seed as only 2 teams are undeated in Jr Pee-wee mid florida.

So we get to scout the games in the 1st round on Tuesday which is always a good coaches day out.

Regular season we scored 257 points and gave up 37 in 8 games!  1 and done from here on out, so getting the boys focused.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Offline Coach Kyle

• Gold
« Reply #207 on: October 13, 2012, 07:14:00 PM »
We won again today, 33 - 7 against the worst team in our conference. I'm a little upset that we let them score because that's only their 2nd TD all season. Moved us to 4 and 2, one more win and we'll be play off eligible. I did not attend because I was on a scouting mission. Our last two teams were playing each other, so I got some film. We should take them both.

Play offs are going to be real interesting. We'll either have beaten every team in playoffs or we'll get the chance for a rematch against the team that beat us by one point.

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Defense: Other
« Reply #208 on: October 13, 2012, 08:36:07 PM »
In a wet, sloppy and muddy game, we lost 27-0, keeping us winless at 0-5. Got some good wedge runs and a nice counter by our little WB. Defense just can't seem to put it together giving up way too many big plays.

Offline coach.Z

• Copper
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #209 on: October 13, 2012, 10:54:50 PM »
Down 2 starters and starting QB/MLB seeing limited time due to being nicked up didn't slow us down much.  Led 20 - 0 after 1st quarter and had a great time mixing kids into new spots and giving some backups some extra PT.  Final was 41 - 0 and sets up the regular season game of the year.  Playing a big, athletic, well coached and also undefeated team for first place in our conference and top seeding in playoffs.