Author Topic: 2012 RESULTS THREAD  (Read 61747 times)

Offline lost episodes

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: DC Wing T
Re: 2012 RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #210 on: October 14, 2012, 12:07:46 AM »
We won 40-0, lacklustered effort, we won off of talent. I let the young coaches get the players ready and it showed "BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD" getting ready for the playoffs!

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #211 on: October 14, 2012, 12:13:08 AM »
Won today, 32-13.  Score was 13-13 in the 3rd Quarter.  Puts this team at 4-4 on the season with one game left.

--Dave
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 08:59:01 AM by CoachDP »
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #212 on: October 14, 2012, 08:46:23 AM »
Dave

Great Job, you have tunred those boys around!

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #213 on: October 14, 2012, 09:26:26 AM »
Thank you Joe.   But like anything else in sports, it's a group effort.  I think the coaching staff sees that I'm not there to take over.  I'm just there to assist in whatever way I can.  The players are learning that there's a benefit to hard work and that the results will show on Saturday.  The DC did decide to try  our 4-4 for one series.  Defense shut down our opponent in a 4-and-out.  Despite that (and that fact that the 5-3 had already given up 2 TDs), he didn't go back to the 4-4.  So even when coaches say that they want to learn, that they want to get better, you have to wonder sometimes...

As for next week, we play a quality opponent.  Our o-line is STILL confused about who to block (sigh), the defense has too many bubbles, the Special Teams is really bad...  I tell them, they nod their head, and then go out and make the same mistakes (as a staff) as they did before.  At least our team is more physical and confident.

A parent asked me after the game, "Do we get to go to a bowl game?" I told her, "Only if we win next week." She rolled her eyes and said, "That's fine.  I was ready for it to be over with anyway." lol

--Dave

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #214 on: October 14, 2012, 10:53:25 AM »
Lost 19-7.  Got manhandled.  We didn't block, we didn't tackle.  No playoffs for us.

I called a bad game on O..It was pouring rain, and we just couldn't pound the ball.  We found a seam off tackle left but only after we were down 13-0.  I called a couple of bad plays before then that lost us yards when we were sort of moving the ball.  We recovered the second half kickoff and drove it in to go 13-7, then proceeded to give up a drive for the majority of the third quarter for the final score.  We turned it over after getting the ball back, and that was all she wrote.

Oh, well.  They were better than we thought.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #215 on: October 14, 2012, 11:24:04 AM »
Lost 19-7.  Got manhandled.  We didn't block, we didn't tackle.  No playoffs for us.

I called a bad game on O..It was pouring rain, and we just couldn't pound the ball.  We found a seam off tackle left but only after we were down 13-0.  I called a couple of bad plays before then that lost us yards when we were sort of moving the ball.  We recovered the second half kickoff and drove it in to go 13-7, then proceeded to give up a drive for the majority of the third quarter for the final score.  We turned it over after getting the ball back, and that was all she wrote.

Oh, well.  They were better than we thought.

John

Im sorry to hear that especially knowing how hard you work for this team each and every season.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline coachmiket

• Silver
  • Coaching: Middle School
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #216 on: October 14, 2012, 12:39:30 PM »
We were soundly defeated 13-6 in the first round of the playoffs.  Ran the table in the regular season and then came out flat in this game and it's over with.  We didn't tackle well, we didn't block well, and we turned the ball over 3 times.  Also had a TD called back for an illegal block.

I don't think we prepared the kids, mentally, for this game.  I think they came in over confident and it killed us.  Hopefully it is a lesson for all of us to learn from.

Overall, it was a great season.  Every kid improved from day one to the end and I think they all came to enjoy the game and their teammates. 

Offline joshv155

• Gold
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #217 on: October 14, 2012, 12:47:26 PM »
We won a hard fought first round playoff game 33-20. First half went back and forth...was 13-13 and we had the ball last, scoring to make it 20-13 at half. Scored early second half to make it 27-13 but the stormed right back. Eventually we shut down the one play that was killing us and ended strong.

They were 4-1 coming in...play a 5-1 team semifinals of playoffs this week. If all goes well we most likely would have a rematch of last years title game...and get a chance to avenge our one loss this season.
Passio Bellator

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #218 on: October 14, 2012, 12:53:39 PM »
the defense has too many bubbles,
Because they're misaligned?

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
« Reply #219 on: October 14, 2012, 01:01:41 PM »
We put only one direction of the inside pass on the wrist coach, but our OL still forgot to immediately release downfield on one side.  But our receiver just turned it outside and ran to set up a TD behind the blocks that weren't supposed to be there.
Having slept on it, I remember now that the play that got us the most on that drive before then was a long run to the other sideline off a recovery via Field Turf bounce of Isaiah's muffed pitch.  Time & again I see, by or against us, the best play is the broken play.

I also forgot to mention that Arben got a groin pull in the 2nd half, but later went back in and played like nothing hurt.

Offline lost episodes

• Silver
« Reply #220 on: October 14, 2012, 01:33:43 PM »
So even when coaches say that they want to learn, that they want to get better, you have to wonder sometimes...

I tell them, they nod their head, and then go out and make the same mistakes (as a staff) as they did before.

--Dave
Coach DP, I'm having the same problem right now. Yday I let them do everyday b4 the game and it showed the kids was flat and out of sync. How do u deal with it PULLING MY HAIR OUT #NOLEFT

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
  • "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." - V. Lombardi
« Reply #221 on: October 14, 2012, 02:16:42 PM »
We were 7-0, playing a 5-0 team for the regular season championship and the top seeding in our playoffs.  They had 2 weeks to prepare for us and it showed - they had us extremely well scouted and they were fired up and ready for us.  We, on the other hand, came out somewhat flat (after a somewhat flat week of practice) and just didn't execute very well.  We had a few drops, and my QB missed some open receivers, but more importantly our defense played very soft.  We weren't aggressive at all - my LBs were sitting back waiting for the ball to come to them instead of stepping up and meeting the ball carrier.  We didn't set the edge well at all - my force players were allowing themselves to get blocked inside and weren't coming across the line.  We were down 20-6 at halftime, but we probably should have been up 14-6 - we just weren't making plays when we had the chance - and I still really felt that we were going to win the game.  They scored right before halftime, but on the first play of the drive from mid-field, we hit them with a 13-yd loss and got another 5 yds tacked on for a penalty.  So, it was 1st and 28 from their own 32 yd line.  Their next few plays (all runs) gained 15, 7, 15, 19, 4, and then 8 for the TD.  Holy crap, we're not going to beat anybody if we can't provide a little more resistance than that.  It was just that kind of day.  After halftime, we put in our MPP unit and went straight backwards, setting up 2 TDs for them on short fields and creating the final score.  Bad coaching on my part.  I know what I have to change and I expect us to be a lot more competitive in the championship game (of course, we have to win a playoff game first to get there, so let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.  Anyway, the final score of this debacle was 36-6.  Ouch.

Offline Coach Kyle

• Gold
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
« Reply #222 on: October 14, 2012, 03:39:14 PM »
We were 7-0, playing a 5-0 team for the regular season championship and the top seeding in our playoffs.  They had 2 weeks to prepare for us and it showed - they had us extremely well scouted and they were fired up and ready for us.  We, on the other hand, came out somewhat flat (after a somewhat flat week of practice) and just didn't execute very well.  We had a few drops, and my QB missed some open receivers, but more importantly our defense played very soft.  We weren't aggressive at all - my LBs were sitting back waiting for the ball to come to them instead of stepping up and meeting the ball carrier.  We didn't set the edge well at all - my force players were allowing themselves to get blocked inside and weren't coming across the line.  We were down 20-6 at halftime, but we probably should have been up 14-6 - we just weren't making plays when we had the chance - and I still really felt that we were going to win the game.  They scored right before halftime, but on the first play of the drive from mid-field, we hit them with a 13-yd loss and got another 5 yds tacked on for a penalty.  So, it was 1st and 28 from their own 32 yd line.  Their next few plays (all runs) gained 15, 7, 15, 19, 4, and then 8 for the TD.  Holy crap, we're not going to beat anybody if we can't provide a little more resistance than that.  It was just that kind of day.  After halftime, we put in our MPP unit and went straight backwards, setting up 2 TDs for them on short fields and creating the final score.  Bad coaching on my part.  I know what I have to change and I expect us to be a lot more competitive in the championship game (of course, we have to win a playoff game first to get there, so let's not get too far ahead of ourselves.  Anyway, the final score of this debacle was 36-6.  Ouch.
Dang. Sometimes they just get shell shocked. That's too bad man.

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #223 on: October 14, 2012, 04:03:09 PM »
Coach DP, I'm having the same problem right now. Yday I let them do everyday b4 the game and it showed the kids was flat and out of sync. How do u deal with it PULLING MY HAIR OUT #NOLEFT
I deal with it by telling myself "Next year, I'll be running my show again and have my own staff."

--Dave

The Mission Statement:

Offline lost episodes

• Silver
« Reply #224 on: October 14, 2012, 05:05:17 PM »
I deal with it by telling myself "Next year, I'll be running my show again and have my own staff."

--Dave
We so on the same page BUT I let the cat out the bag!