Author Topic: 2012 RESULTS THREAD  (Read 61732 times)

Offline CoachDavidP

• Silver
  • (Fizzlife)
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Positions
Re: 2012 RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #225 on: October 14, 2012, 07:11:21 PM »
Final reg. season game, win 27-0 today to go 6-2 for the year. Our two losses are to teams lying ahead of us in the playoffs starting next weekend. I like the chance to avenge the losses, especially in the first round when we gave up 30 points. Making the playoffs doesn't feel so special this season as the top 4 out of the 6 teams in each division make it. A first round win will make it feel right though.
David (Fizzlife)

Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #226 on: October 14, 2012, 09:01:41 PM »
John

Im sorry to hear that especially knowing how hard you work for this team each and every season.

Thanks Mike.  I appreciate it.  Feeling like I've plateaued as a game coach.  I had no answers.  So frustrating.

Offline spidermac

• Gold
  • Coaching: 7 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Pistol
« Reply #227 on: October 15, 2012, 08:15:55 AM »
19-12 nail biter....our boys have to play one half on on offense and one half on defense...we can designate 2 two-way players for every player less than 16 we have...our roster is 15, and one of our centers had a tummy bug...so my remaining C had to play offense both halves...and he got fatigued in the 4th quarter things got a little sloppy...

We are now 4-2 and moved up to 3rd in the standings...if we win next week we are in the playoffs  :D
None of them suck, they just haven't found what the kid is good at yet.

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
« Reply #228 on: October 15, 2012, 08:52:41 AM »
Feeling like I've plateaued as a game coach.
John, no one plateaus at anything.  You can get better.  We all can.  Sometimes, all it takes is seeing things with a different pair of glasses.  Sometimes, it's going to a clinic.  Sometimes, it's seeing someone else's game highlights.  I've gotten a "new lease on life" often in the most unsuspecting places, or at the most unlikely times.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #229 on: October 15, 2012, 09:36:08 AM »
Thanks Mike.  I appreciate it.  Feeling like I've plateaued as a game coach.  I had no answers.  So frustrating.

John

I agree with Dave.

Maybe a new challenge….be the DC….coach a new age group…try a different offense. You are not tied to your son playing anymore so expand the horizons a little.

It sounds like a rut more than anything and you are way to dedicated to this game to walk away from it. The kids have certainly appreciated you that’s for sure. Those memories will stick with your forever. That’s what its really about. Right? 
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
« Reply #230 on: October 15, 2012, 09:50:42 AM »
I don't know.  I am pretty tied into this org, and am not really sure there's another org in the area I'd have any interest in coaching in.

I'm not in a place to think about this right now.  We have a game we should win next week, I'll open up the playbook and let the kids have some fun.  Put in a bunch of plays for yesterday that never got run either because of the weather or my lousy play calling, not sure.  We'll run em next week - ALL of them, LOL.  Then game 8, then I need to focus on work for a while without thinking about football.  I've been giving my job the short shrift for a while, and I'm not in a good place professionally to be doing that.

Definitely at a cross roads.  I feel like I've hit a wall, where I've maxed out what I can coach them to achieve given my current situation (which includes my own knowledge/skill set).  We beat the bad teams, we lose to the good teams.  Without something changing, that's all we're going to be. 

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Defense: Other
« Reply #231 on: October 15, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »
Definitely at a cross roads.  I feel like I've hit a wall, where I've maxed out what I can coach them to achieve given my current situation (which includes my own knowledge/skill set).
John,  I've been there.  In 2003, 2004 AND 2005, we lost to the (eventual) national champion every time.  In 2003, the loss was in overtime.  In 2005, the loss came when our opponent took the lead with 46 seconds remaining.  I had done EVERYTHING I knew how to do at that time.  But there was still much I didn't know. I've been tired, frustrated and at a loss of what else to do.   But there ARE other things to learn, and more mountains to climb.  Trust me.

--Dave
« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 10:21:55 AM by CoachDP »
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
« Reply #232 on: October 15, 2012, 10:19:06 AM »
But there ARE other things to learn, and more mountains to climb.  Trust me.

--Dave

I definitely understand that, just not sure what I'm willing to give to climb them.  And, as an aside, whether I'll truly have the opportunity even if I want to.

Offline btwilli1

• Copper
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #233 on: October 15, 2012, 11:08:45 AM »
My son is the BB and he was in disney world for this game.  We practiced with our backup BB but it just wasn't working the same on 16 Powers and sweeps.  We won the game 12-7 to be 4-0 this season.  Our first two drives we scored but couldn't get the PAT. 

After that we marched down the field but for some reason on 16 power my BB wasn't blocking their end, and the FB was whiffing his blocks as well.  The end of the CB was coming in disrupting our strong side like it was swiss cheese.  On a 43 Reverse their defender was attacking at the spot we were handing off at, ugh.  The only thing that worked at the end of the game was 31 Trap and 22 Wedge.  We did several No Plays, but my kids kept moving, we've practiced it so much too.

One other thing I noticed with the late 8pm games the kids are usually a lot more tired than 6 or 7pm games.  We only warmup for 30 minutes, get their juices flowing.  The 2nd half all of my kids were walking sluggishly to the line and they just didn't look like the same team.  Even though we won I felt like we lost.  I see all you these other Cisar teams pulling out double digit victory margins and we just haven't gotten there yet.  Hopefully with my son back at BB things might be better?  One player shouldn't make a team but they were just off for some reason. 

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #234 on: October 15, 2012, 09:07:06 PM »
We won the regular season finale 29-0 against a 6-1 team. They had decent coaching and decent athletes. Solid team. We jumped up on them quickly and never let off until the mercy rule kicked in. We gave up one first down on defense and scored on our first 4 drives. The kids blocked a punt and had 2 interceptions. We outscored our opponents this year 264-6 in the regular season. We did not run into any teams that had good coaching and talent. It usually bothers me when the kids are not tested until the playoffs but not with this group. I have seen them pull it together when things go badly(last season) so I am confident that they will be ok when it happens this season. The first round of the playoffs is against the only team to score on us. It unfortunately it is the other team in our org. They have the best player in the conference and just find ways to get him the ball in space. Pretty predictable but the kid is a great player.

Offline Popcoach11

• Copper
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
« Reply #235 on: October 16, 2012, 02:40:22 AM »
Played a team that usually puts out great teams.....this year across the board they r down......won 35-6

Lil qb goes 11-17 for 172 5tds 1 hitch, 1 fade, 3 PA passes.....good day for sure

Passsing game was on, and our HAWGS O dominated the LOS.....PWR offtackle, so & counter was all we needed.....

Last game this weekend, then 2 weeks off b4 our bowl games start

Offline shawnm

• Copper
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #236 on: October 16, 2012, 11:32:08 PM »
We'll tonight we won a close one 14 to 12 against a 5-1 team. They were much more physical than us  stacked the d-line and invited us to run outside we were inconsistent.  We are now 7-0 but seems everyone is catching up to us.  We have locked #1 seed for playoffs and have 1 reg season game left.  It will be a struggle for us to win it all but have a shot.

Offline zippyzebra

• Copper
  • Defense: DC Pro 4-3
  • Offense: Undecided
« Reply #237 on: October 17, 2012, 11:31:49 AM »
Second year DCWT - So far 4-2. Two games left. Allowing only 6 points a game but we were shut out first two. Had a lot of adjustments the staff made. Last 4 we went 4-0 allowing only 6 and scoring 13,14,12,20. 

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #238 on: October 17, 2012, 11:53:39 PM »
We played the first round of playoffs tonight. We beat the other team in our association 31-0. It sucks to be the ones to put them out. Our kids played one of the best games of the season. The o-line dominated. They are really starting to develop an incredible understanding of their positions and how to attack defensive fronts.
Our next opponent was the team we played the last game of the regular season. Solid team. My only real worry is that our kids may come out over confident and play flat. I realistically doubt that will happen and think there is a better chance the other team will come out dejected.

Offline DL

• Platinum
  • Defense: Undecided
« Reply #239 on: October 18, 2012, 10:43:40 AM »
We played the first round of playoffs tonight. We beat the other team in our association 31-0. It sucks to be the ones to put them out. Our kids played one of the best games of the season. The o-line dominated. They are really starting to develop an incredible understanding of their positions and how to attack defensive fronts.
Our next opponent was the team we played the last game of the regular season. Solid team. My only real worry is that our kids may come out over confident and play flat. I realistically doubt that will happen and think there is a better chance the other team will come out dejected.

I imagine you get a lot of disappointed parents when you have one org. with multiple teams at one level and there are all star coaches at one team and average coaches at the other.

It's like having guitar lessons and you have Eddie Van Halen or guy who just learned guitar himself in the last class.   Who you get to be your teacher is the luck of the draw.

Maybe Eddie would be a horrible teacher, but you get my meaning.