Author Topic: 2012 RESULTS THREAD  (Read 61777 times)

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Retired
Re: 2012 RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #240 on: October 18, 2012, 12:38:01 PM »
We were only supposed to have one team this year. We had more sign up than was expected. A father from the other team was a header at another org and the board gave him the job. That was a slap in the face to some of the guys on our staff who have been with the association for a number of years. Plus we have blue and gold teams. Once you are on the blue team you stay on the blue team so the coaches who have kids on the team are obviously going to stay with their kids. None of the guys on our staff would coach under the other header under any circumstances. We generally have good coaching from top to bottom. When they gave the job to a new guy and did not even offer it to anybody on our team, well as I said earlier some of us were upset. Plus our staff has been together for years and we don't want to be seperated. Some of us(myself certainly) have no desire to be a header. I am sure there are parents who are upset but in reality it was the boards doing. We have issues with our board that I will not go into but I will say that some board members have different reasons for being there than creating a fun environment for the kids. We are not all star coaches by the way(except for the header, he is amazing imo). Just a group of dedicated guys who all know our system inside and out.

Offline DL

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #241 on: October 18, 2012, 12:57:30 PM »
We were only supposed to have one team this year. We had more sign up than was expected. A father from the other team was a header at another org and the board gave him the job. That was a slap in the face to some of the guys on our staff who have been with the association for a number of years. Plus we have blue and gold teams. Once you are on the blue team you stay on the blue team so the coaches who have kids on the team are obviously going to stay with their kids. None of the guys on our staff would coach under the other header under any circumstances. We generally have good coaching from top to bottom. When they gave the job to a new guy and did not even offer it to anybody on our team, well as I said earlier some of us were upset. Plus our staff has been together for years and we don't want to be seperated. Some of us(myself certainly) have no desire to be a header. I am sure there are parents who are upset but in reality it was the boards doing. We have issues with our board that I will not go into but I will say that some board members have different reasons for being there than creating a fun environment for the kids. We are not all star coaches by the way(except for the header, he is amazing imo). Just a group of dedicated guys who all know our system inside and out.

So you don't have a draft to seperate your teams?   Or you do aside from returning players?    I understand coaches kids stay with those coaches - most orgs. do it that way.    Our league mandates a draft for 2 teams at same level.

If you are Blue at 10 would you still be Blue at 11 and 12 and so forth? 

Do you guys (your staff) stay with kids and move up with them or just stay at the same level and get new kids every year?

I do it both ways.   We have weight classes at levels of play so I always have new kids every year and sometimes old kids.   I usual coach a certain level because a buddies kid I coach with is on that particular team.  Then when my kid is old enough to play he will help me.   

For instance if I coach at same top level 2 years in a row - I will get some returning younger players who didn't gain that much weight.   Or if I had an older team I would get all new players.

If I move up a level I will get kids moving up with me plus kids that didn't gain enough weight to move to next level.   If I move down and take younger kids I get all new kids.

This year was first year I had substantial number of kids I have coached for 3 years - 7 of 19 this is 3rd year I have had them.    Because I coached a younger level 2 years ago and coached the same level last 2 years.    It really, really helps when that happens.

Honestly, most years when you get a kid at any age for first time he is like a first year player because so many of the other coaches are so horrible at coaching fundamentals.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 01:27:43 PM by Daniel Lyons »

Offline CoachDavidP

• Silver
  • (Fizzlife)
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #242 on: October 18, 2012, 01:16:58 PM »
We have some cities in our league with two teams. Our league goes by address. Figure a dividing line on the map then kids on one side go to one team, kids on the other side go to the other. Only difference is when they first join the league. If they were already on the red team for example, they are grandfathered in. Only new kids would follow new guidelines.
David (Fizzlife)

Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #243 on: October 19, 2012, 12:45:27 PM »
Dan,
   Once a kid is on blue he styas on blue when he moves up. Most staffs stay with the team as they get older. When the kids sign up at mighty mighty they are assigned alternating colors. It always makes me laugh because of our success over the last couple of years we are constantly(every single game, even in our own association) accused of stacking teams. When a kid signs up at an older age they are assigned to the team with the least amount ok kids or we have drafted also. The draft was a joke this year because we had no info on the kid. Nothing but age. The other team desperately needed lineman and we needed a cornerback/wr type. We ended up drafting lineman types and they drafted wr types which they already had a ton of. Our board is constantly meddling with new ways to do things and they always backfire in their faces. We currently have no board members who have ever coached or played football. They are all cheer parents. They will very shortly destroy what we have built over the last 6 or 7 years and turn us back into the conference doormat. They board is trying o make us a cheer centered association. We all know that is where the $$$ is made.
Our might mite and tiny mite coaches have been at that level for a long time and do a great job of getting the fundies somewhat established. We also will pick up kids that stay down when we move up. Most of these kids will be pretty well coached. Also 2(3 out of 4 total)of the blue teams run dw/sw to some extent so they are usually familiar with what we are doing. Last year we had an entire new group of kids. This year we have mostly returners but lost depth because we were VERY young last season. Those kids that stayed down are 9-0 with 2 coaches from our staff last year. They are the smallest jpw team I have ever seen.

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #244 on: October 20, 2012, 01:01:21 PM »
We finished our season this morning a perfect 6-0. ohhh...sorry, mistyped that...I meant 0-6. We lost 16-0 on another dreary and drizzly day. Actually, the kids stepped up today and played a great defensive game. No points until late in the 3rd quarter. We stopped them a couple of times inside our 10. Unfortunately, we couldn't do much on offense. We had a couple of nice wedge runs and finally got outside for a couple of gains on our sweep, but we couldn't do anything and didn't make a first down all game. Way too many fumbled snaps, and these were all UC. We basically abandoned our direct snap stuff before the game even started because for some reason, the C's shotgun snaps had gotten worse the past couple of weeks, continually shooting the ball over the QB's head. We kept trying to fix it, but he just couldn't seem to get it down. He did make a nice tackle though from his DT position. Now, it's time to relax. Offseason work begins Monday.

Offline coach.Z

• Copper
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #245 on: October 20, 2012, 02:32:42 PM »
Got a chance to play a game we've had circled for a while.  We both were 6-0 tied for divisional lead going into the game.  Big, athletic and well coached team... but we just punched them in the face from the first play to the final whistle.  So proud of the level of execution and effort the boys put into this game.  They never got inside our 30 yard line as the defense pitched it's 6 shutout in 7 tries.  Offense off tackle and sweep open all day as we put up 30 points.  One regular season game left then it's playoff football!

Offline Tripwire

• Silver
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #246 on: October 20, 2012, 04:30:27 PM »
Well we are done.

8-0 regular seasons, got a bye in the 1st round but fell in the 2nd round 18-16.  Too many errors to overcome.  1 int when we were on the 10 yard line then our FB just handed the ball to a LB who ran it for 60 yards and a TD instead of wrapping it up on a simple wedge play.

Kids played above themselves this year, we have a VERY tiny team size wise and it caught up with us in this game.  The other team was really physical and we made hits at the LOS but they just ran hard and got ground and pound yardage on us.

I am going to take a break for a few months then get into spring tackle probably and start all over again!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Offline CoachDavidP

• Silver
  • (Fizzlife)
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #247 on: October 20, 2012, 10:07:04 PM »
Tough one today. 1st round of the playoffs. Got to play the only team that really put any points on us beating us 30-13.  We started at 8:00 am but the team was awake and ready to go. Hard fought game. Went in to the half down 0-6. Scored early in the third and took the lead 7-6. Ended up punting to the exact same kid that returned two kick-offs for td's against us two weeks ago. Yes, he returned it to take the lead 14-7. We then tie it up with 42 seconds left in the game with a nice 70 yard catch and run. We do college style OT and gave up a td in the 2nd OT. 14-20 season over. Tough one but the boys fought this team hard.Good season overall. As always, time to reflect.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:28:32 AM by fizzlife »
David (Fizzlife)

Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

Offline Coach Kyle

• Gold
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #248 on: October 21, 2012, 03:30:58 AM »
31 - 15 win today. We played absolutely awful. At the end of the first half it was 6 - 8, them. Part of it was a formation that we didn't see in scouting. The other part was that our team was shocked that they hit back. Our guys were trying to cut it out side a lot, and I didn't really like some of the play calls, but a combination of penalties and fumbles kept us down. We pulled it together after half time when I came up with a way to defend their funky one trick play.

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
« Reply #249 on: October 21, 2012, 02:43:28 PM »
Lost the season finale, 47-25.  When I arrived at the game site, the DC told me he was going to let his friend (another AC) call the game because it was "his birthday and he is a nice guy."  loller!  I just stared at him and shook my head, like "are you kidding?"  loller!  He wasn't kidding.  LOL Soooo...we played a team with no more talent than us, but were much more physical.  We never changed out of our 5-3 in which the opposition was punching holes in like it was a wet paper bag.  I have no idea why he repped my 4-4 in practice so much, if he had no intent of using it.  Anyhoos, just glad it's over.  Painful to watch football played that poorly.  The HC asked me during the game about what I was seeing.  I thought to myself, why ask me, if you have no intention of changing anything? 

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline Test Account

• Platinum
  • Admin Dead Account
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Other
« Reply #250 on: October 21, 2012, 02:47:50 PM »
not everything has to be so black and white.....I am amazed that some of you havent figured this out yet...purely about x's and o's.
Please don't PM or respond to this Member. It is an account for all of the posts from abandoned or banned Member Accounts.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #251 on: October 21, 2012, 03:15:16 PM »
Lost the season finale, 47-25.  When I arrived at the game site, the DC told me he was going to let his friend (another AC) call the game because it was "his birthday and he is a nice guy."  loller!  I just stared at him and shook my head, like "are you kidding?"  loller!  He wasn't kidding.  LOL Soooo...we played a team with no more talent than us, but were much more physical.  We never changed out of our 5-3 in which the opposition was punching holes in like it was a wet paper bag.  I have no idea why he repped my 4-4 in practice so much, if he had no intent of using it.  Anyhoos, just glad it's over.  Painful to watch football played that poorly.  The HC asked me during the game about what I was seeing.  I thought to myself, why ask me, if you have no intention of changing anything? 

--Dave

Well....Happy Flippin' Birthday.  ???
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline lost episodes

• Silver
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #252 on: October 21, 2012, 03:31:32 PM »
We won 39-6 and I gave up the 6 to show why I play the LB's that I play(it's a shame I had to do that). We played against a team that ran an inverted WB to perfection and if they had one more athlete they could make a run for the SuperBowl on their side. Their backs hit the hole FAST, PAD LEVEL LOW, and had speed. They had over a100 yds against us just couldn't sustain the drives!

Offline shawnm

• Copper
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #253 on: October 21, 2012, 09:51:04 PM »
We won regular season finale 42-14.  Against a double wing team that doesn't pull. (go figure). We move to 8-0 on the regular season.  Turns out now this team will be the 8th seed in our league tourney so we play them again Thursday night in first round. We'll have to turn around and play semi final on Saturday if we win Thursday night.    Should be interesting ride from here on out. We are #1 seed but have played several tight games and have struggled primarily on defense.   We scored 279 points but gave up 124 on defense through reg. season.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #254 on: October 21, 2012, 10:07:19 PM »
he is a nice guy

That might even be a negative.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.