Author Topic: 2012 RESULTS THREAD  (Read 61726 times)

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
Re: 2012 RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #255 on: October 21, 2012, 10:09:22 PM »
Lost the season finale, 47-25.  When I arrived at the game site, the DC told me he was going to let his friend (another AC) call the game because it was "his birthday and he is a nice guy."

So his birthday present was running a D that allowed 47 points?

If anyone wants to give that to me for my birthday, don't.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Double Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #256 on: October 21, 2012, 11:14:44 PM »
Won against a bad team 36-20 to go to 5-2.  We had subs in on D all game - our stacks were pretty much kids that don't play D, and the cover group was all of our back ups.  They made some plays, they gave up some plays.  Other team scored on the last play of the game, so it wasn't even as close as 36-20.  We were up 24-0 at the half.

Had another kid score his first TD, so we're up to 12 kids that have scored TD's with a roster of 25.  We tried to get another kid in there, but just didn't get it done.

Our starting backs played very little, heard they were griping on the sideline.  Our best back had two carries - a 50 yard power for TD on his first touch, and a 40 yard jet sweep later in the first half to get us out of a hole.  He could have scored almost at will.  In some respects, I can't blame them - in our blowouts they haven't gotten a ton of carries, and in our two losses we got shut down to where they didn't get many touches either.

We have one more game.  Due to playoff scenarios, we don't know who we're playing next week.  We're out of the playoffs, but the team we're supposed to play is in the hunt, so they'll likely play someone in their own league to try to qualify.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 11:18:53 PM by jrk5150 »

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #257 on: October 21, 2012, 11:18:31 PM »
Won against a bad team 36-20.  We had subs in on D - our stacks were pretty much kids that don't play D, and the cover group was all of our back ups.  They made some plays, they gave up some plays.  Other team scored on the last play of the game, so it wasn't even as close as 36-20.  We were up 24-0 at the half.

Had another kid score his first TD, so we're up to 12 kids that have scored TD's with a roster of 25.  We tried to get another kid in there, but just didn't get it done.

Our starting backs played very little, heard they were griping on the sideline.  Our best back had two carries - a 50 yard power for TD on his first touch, and a 40 yard jet sweep later in the first half to get us out of a hole.  He could have scored almost at will.  In some respects, I can't blame them - in our blowouts they haven't gotten a ton of carries, and in our two losses we got shut us down to where they didn't get many touches either.

We have one more game.  Due to playoff scenarios, we don't know who we're playing next week.  We're out of the playoffs, but the team we're supposed to play is in the hunt, so they'll likely play someone in their own league to try to qualify.

John

Man you have the weirdest deal up there. Are you saying your schedule flexes due to playoff scenarios?

Congrats on the win....and the season.  You sound hollow though.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline DL

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Offense: Spread Formation
« Reply #258 on: October 22, 2012, 09:45:59 AM »
We finished regular season 9 - 0 in the top division.   

Beast formation they pulled out went for about -20 yards on the day.   They completed 2 passes on us for first downs.   Otherwise zero yardage aside from a pass interference penalty where our guy was going for ball and ran into receiver.

We had 2 pick 6's.   One was in garbage time so it didn't count.

Offense had troubles in first half.  Half-time score was zero - zero against a team with a losing record.   Records can be deceiving in this section of the league, because all of the teams in the division have good players.    They were really pumped to play us and were hitting really hard.   They were playing the game like it was the super bowl and our guys didn't match their sense of urgence.

They weren't covering all the receivers, but the guy they happened to not cover didn't know the audible and didn't run the right route.   We had a number of turnovers and missed throws.   They were blitzing like crazy and selling out to stop sweeps, and jumping and diving into our backfield over our center.    Our kids were confused in the first half.

2nd half we adjusted the blocking and play calls and scored on first play from scrimmage.   We put them in running clock early in the 4th quarter.    We even had 2 t.d.'s called back - one was by rule in garbage time - can't advance an interception.

Still not 100% certain we will win title.   Injuries are piling up and basketball is a big interference and we are hitting flu season. 

1 or 2 key kids get sick and we are in a lot of trouble.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #259 on: October 22, 2012, 09:56:08 AM »
They were playing the game like it was the super bowl

They took a knee in our territory to end the first half.  They seemed thrilled to be tied, and I guess they didn't want to risk turning it over and ending the half down.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
« Reply #260 on: October 22, 2012, 10:27:08 PM »
I had to be out of town Sat. so I missed our Saints game vs. the Javelins in the Warriors Pee Wees.  I was told by coach Eric that we played "ridiculously well" and won 18-0.  HC Kenny's e-mail to Kenyette's mother was successful in getting him back from choir responsibilities as our starting QB.  So we're now 3-3 and the Javelins 1-1-4.  I don't have a result of the Rams-Knights game.  (I just fixed that last sentence several days after I'd initially posted "Jets-Knights game".  Jets is one of the team names the club uses for teams in this division, but no Jets team was organized this season.  The Rams uniform is green & white so I mix them up with the Jets.)

Maybe I need to stay away on game day for us to excel!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 12:15:41 AM by Bob Goodman »

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
  • "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." - V. Lombardi
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
« Reply #261 on: October 23, 2012, 12:10:49 PM »
We had our first playoff game this past Saturday.  Only 4 teams make the playoffs in our league, so it was the semi-final.  We played a team we beat 26-12 way back in week one.  We've improved a lot since then, but so have they.  We were 7-1 coming into the game and they were 3-4, so I was pretty confident that we would handle them without too much trouble.  I was a little concerned, though, that our kids confidence might have been shaken by the 36-6 shellacking that we took in the regular season finale.  We got the ball first and turned it over on downs in 4 plays - not a good start.  We stopped them on four plays and got the ball back, then our offense came back to life.  We scored on our next 3 possession to take a 22-0 lead early in the second quarter.  They then scored on a long TD run by their stud back with a lot of our backups in - it should have been called back for illegal motion and/or illegal formation - they motioned a WR who was on the line of scrimmage into the backfield, but he didn't get the 5 yards deep required by rule, and even if he did, that gave them 5 players in the backfield.  No call, though.

We then scored again, and on the last play of the half, they pulled out the Lonesome Polecat and caught us off guard (no one thought to call time out - that one's on me - I wasn't paying attention), and got a 41-yd TD to make it 28-12 at the half.

Our offense continue to click in the 3rd quarter and we added 2 more TDs to make it 42-12 (and invoke mercy rules).  They added another TD in garbage time for a final score of 42-18.

On the bright side of things, our passing stats were 13-21-236, 4 TDs and no picks, passer rating = 219.2.  We also ran the ball 25 times for 132 yards, and recovered 4 fumbles on the afternoon.  Defensively, we didn't allow them to pass, sacking their QB 3 times and holding them to 5-10-48 and a TD (but 41 yds of that and the TD were on the one lonesome polecat play).

There were a number of areas of concern, though.  We had 13 penalties for 85 yards - we cannot do that in the championship game and hope to win.  At one point mid-season I think we went three weeks with only 1 penalty, so I'm not sure why we're playing so sloppy now - we will be focusing on cleaning this up this week.  Also, our run defense continues to be a concern - we gave up 187 yards on 30 carries (granted 112 of that was on two long runs against mostly backups, but even taking those two plays out, they were 28-75, which is okay, but probably not good enough against the team we'll be facing in the championship game).

We are continuing to focus on playing more physical this week and we'll be pulling out all the stops in the championship game this Saturday.  It should be fun - I can't wait!!

Offline angalton

• Gold
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Wishbone
« Reply #262 on: October 26, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »
5-2 We have to win out to reach top bracket for playoffs. Have to cut down on mental errors in 2nd half. D is is doing ok but have given up 39 points. O is good scoring 211 points. Games are over at 40 point lead. Turnovers and flags are killing us. More discipline. First year with any regular season losses but kids are still motivated.
The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
« Reply #263 on: October 27, 2012, 03:10:04 PM »
We're in the part of the schedule where practices are a token night a week in the gym at Lehman H.S., where it's hard to get anything useful done unless we get to sneak out onto their lit field.  Today we had a morning game because this is the Sat. that some teams from our club play at SUNY Maritime College before their own varsity home game.  The game between our team, Ralph Giordano's Funeral Home Saints, and the McNulty Funeral Home Rams, was not one of those featured games, but the schedule at (what used to be) Rice Stadium in Pelham Bay Park is always moved up in that case, probably to get the officials & admins. out sooner.  It looked like our players hadn't woken up yet when I started warming them up with some contact practice.  This is a noticeable change from earlier in the season.  Used to be our players loved hitting in practice, could hardly pry them apart.  This did not bode well.

We got word that two way player C.J. (LB & offensive G) was out with a twisted ankle, and that caused a cascade of substitutions that continued during the game as several of our players got hurt.  Egzon Balidemaj was quite a trooper, suffering a couple of minor injuries before having to leave with a concussion.  The Saints received the opening kickoff with a decent return, made some hay with dives thru the A & B gaps, and then everything fell apart.  For one thing, both our QBs just forgot how to run plays from our wings series.  They each (one in the 1st half, the other in the 2nd) took a snap from under center where the play call was definitely to shift to shotgun, and we coaches were shocked to see them improvise plays that went with the QB in the wrong place.  Why somebody on the field didn't notice they had the play screwed up is a mystery.

Anyway, the Rams scored early on a pick 6, one of 2 for them that game, the 2nd coming while they were in mercy rule defense.  The Saints never really showed much life after the initial drive.  Our OL seemed confused by the Rams stand-up DL.  The Saints put on an exhibition of really bad attempted (or not-really-even-attempted) tackles too.

Final score Saints 0, Rams 26.  Saints go to 3-4, Rams 7-0 lock up the Warrior Pee Wees 2012 title, still unscored upon.

Offline lost episodes

• Silver
  • Coaching: High School
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #264 on: October 27, 2012, 04:21:54 PM »
We win 42-0, 28-0 in the 1st qtr and tried to get everyone a carry and all the kids parents got upset b/c their johny didn't get 10 carries(star players). Unbelievable!

Offline Coach Kyle

• Gold
« Reply #265 on: October 27, 2012, 07:03:19 PM »
Well we just lost our last game. 19 - 18 them. Playoffs are next week, and I think that we'll be playing the same team unless some sort of weird stuff goes on. Unique opportunity, and we might actually benefit from it a lot.

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #266 on: October 27, 2012, 09:18:05 PM »
I think beating a good team twice in one season is very difficult. Twice in 2 weeks is just a bitch. Advantage you. You're kids know they can win this game.

Offline coach.Z

• Copper
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #267 on: October 27, 2012, 09:25:41 PM »
Finished the regular season with a lackluster 43-0 win.  Everyone seemed somewhere else mentally, but we played well enough to win easily.  Enter the playoffs as the #1 seed and a bye next weekend.  8-0 with 7 shutouts 264 pts for 19 pts against, not a bad effort... With as many 1st year tackle players as we have, watching the growth of the players has been amazing!

Offline shawnm

• Copper
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #268 on: October 27, 2012, 11:15:19 PM »
We won 1st round playoff game 38-8 on Thursday night then turned around another victory today 24-12 in semi final.   We are now in our league championship game against a beast of a team from area of city that normally wins league title.  I was told today that this is first year in over 20 years that team from our area/school system has ever been in title game.  We are 10-0 and they are 9-1.   We beat them the first game of the year 18-16 but had wedge for that game since then they have lobbied and got wedge outlawed.   Hopefully we can pull this upset off as they are much larger and more physical.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
« Reply #269 on: October 27, 2012, 11:21:18 PM »
they have lobbied and got wedge outlawed.

What, exactly, is the rule?