Author Topic: 2012 RESULTS THREAD  (Read 61733 times)

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
  • "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." - V. Lombardi
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: 2012 RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #270 on: October 28, 2012, 11:18:53 AM »
We played in our league championship game last night.  We were 8-1 and facing a 7-0 team that we lost to, 36-6, in the final game of the regular season.  We made a bunch of defensive adjustments from the first game.  I was very confident that we could score at least 30 against them - the big question was whether we could stop them.  We kicked off and they drove right down and scored.  The big play of the drive was a 30-yd pass play to their TE on a simple out, but our CB (who's sole responsibility against that formation is to cover that TE) had his nose in the backfield and just let the TE run right by him.  8-0 them.  We get the ball and go 3 & out.  They march down the field again and score. 14-0 them.  I call the team over and remind them about maintaining our poise and playing our game.  We get the ball and drive down the field and score 14-8.  We onside, recover, and immediately punch the ball in and take the lead, 16-14 (the first time our opponent had been behind all season.  They score again, 20-16 them, and then get another one right before halftime, augghh, we're down 26-16 at the half.

We make a couple defensive adjustments at halftime and reminded the kids that we're doing well offensively - just keep scoring and if we tackle and play our assignments properly on defense, we should be able to win this game.  We get the second half kickoff and immediately throw a pick-six.  Now we're down 34-16.  After another TD by them we're down 42-16.  A lot of teams would have fallen apart at this point, and just quit and mailed it in the rest of the game.  I was so proud of my boys - they battled and fought back.  We got back on track offensively and scored to make it 40-24, then we got a turnover and marched back down the field and scored on the first play of the 4th quarter to make it 42-32. At this point, we have momentum and I'm feeling like we have a pretty good chance to win.  We bottle them up on a couple of plays then we're in perfect position to stop them on a sweep play to their fastest RB - three different guys are in position to tackle him in the backfield for a loss, and all of them miss and he breaks free and goes about 50 yds for a TD.  49-32 them.  We roared back, again, though and scored to make it 49-40, and again, I felt that we had momentum and we could win.  But, again, we just couldn't stop them. They scored once to make it 57-40, stopped us, scored again to make it 65-40, but we still didn't give up, scoring one last time for the final score of 65-48.

Who's ever heard of 113 pts in a Pop Warner game??  If you have told me before the game that we were going to score 48 points, I would have said that's crazy, but I would have guaranteed we would win the game.  We haven't been dominant on defense all year, but we've been solid - I never would have dreamed that we would give up 65 points to anybody.  Holy smokes.  I'm pretty upset about our defensive incompetence, but I'm so proud of our guys for hanging in there and never giving up.  They battled the whole game.

After the game, we went to a local restaurant to drown our sorrows.  About 1/3 to 1/2 of the team was there along with their parents.  I was the last one to show up (dealing with collecting equipment at the field, then sending out a bunch of text messages before I went in).  When I walked in, all the players and parents there gave me a round of applause.  I was totally not expecting that - I was really touched; I damn near cried.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 07:39:08 PM by coachdoug »

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #271 on: October 28, 2012, 11:23:32 AM »
Doug

You did an outstanding job this season & should be proud of yourself. You built a team that had never won anything into a team making it to the championship. Great job!

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline shawnm

• Copper
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #272 on: October 28, 2012, 12:50:31 PM »
What, exactly, is the rule?

They are saying that it is interlocking and left it up to the head official interpretation.   They said no form of the wedge is legal in our League,  even when I tried the flipper method they told me no go.   

I'm over it but makes our offense less potent.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #273 on: October 28, 2012, 12:58:50 PM »
After the game, we went to a local restaurant to drown our sorrows.  About 1/3 to 1/2 of the team was there along with there parents.  I was the last one to show up (dealing with collecting equipment at the field, then sending out a bunch of text messages before I went in).  When I walked in, all the players and parents there gave me a round of applause.  I was totally not expecting that - I was really touched; I damn near cried.

...and that right there is why we all coach.

Great season Doug. You made an impact on these families.  :)
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
« Reply #274 on: October 28, 2012, 01:43:42 PM »
...and that right there is why we all coach.

Great season Doug. You made an impact on these families.  :)
Thanks, Mike.  It was a special moment on a difficult night.  Man, I wanted to win that one so bad.  I know there is no way anyone should score 65 on us - obviously I didn't get the job done in preparing them defensively.  I can't help but feel like I let them down.

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
« Reply #275 on: October 28, 2012, 01:51:16 PM »
Doug

This is why you are a great coach. No excuses you want to know what you can do to get better. Remember, this is your first year with that staff, first year running the Defnsive system, first year in the program, & first year with these players. I know it will be hard to let this one go, I also know you will review the video. In time you learn some valuable leasons from it. Right now just relax a little & savour your season. Your players did a great job, that is to your credit. Your coahes will improve, that is the way you work.

I'm sure we will continue our almost daily calls, I do look forward to them. I have learned many things from you my friend. I am honored to know you & a better coach for it.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #276 on: October 28, 2012, 02:56:24 PM »
Doug,

Sounds like you converted on every 2-point conversion.  Amazing.  Sounds like you've got a zombie team; one that can't be killed.  Would have loved to have seen that game.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
« Reply #277 on: October 28, 2012, 03:10:40 PM »
Doug,

Sounds like you converted on every 2-point conversion.  Amazing.  Sounds like you've got a zombie team; one that can't be killed.  Would have loved to have seen that game.

--Dave
Yeah, we scored 6 TDs and made 6 PAT kicks (good for 2 in PW, as you know).  Unfortunately, they scored 9 TDs, made 5 kicks and ran (or maybe it was a pass - it's all a blur right now) one in.  I think we blocked 2 of their kicks and they just missed the other one.  I gotta give the kids credit - they never quit and they kept coming back.  I'll put up the video of the whole game in a month or so when things settle down a little for me.

Offline CoachDavidP

• Silver
  • (Fizzlife)
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
« Reply #278 on: October 28, 2012, 03:45:28 PM »
I'll be honest Doug. Reading that post, I forgot it wasn't a high school game.  Way to keep your team fighting to the final whistle.  Something not all coaches can do. Tough finish to a good year. Sounds like you are helping to establish something special.
David (Fizzlife)

Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

Offline Devi

• Copper
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: I Formation
« Reply #279 on: October 28, 2012, 05:36:45 PM »
Won our (6-2) playoff game today 14-12 against a team (7-1) we lost to 28-12 2 weeks ago. My team quit in the 4th Q last game and gave up a 12-8 lead. This time they fought hard until the end and pulled off what nobody thought they could (I believed they could and hammered that point home all week at practice).

Next weekend is our Super Bowl against the leagues only undefeated team, we lost to them 8-0 in week 2. They scored with 2 mins left in the game then. This time they wont score at all!!! I have never been so proud as I am now, watching these kids fight so hard & the look on their faces after the game reminded me why I'll never stop coaching youth football.

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #280 on: October 28, 2012, 06:15:45 PM »
We won 27-0 against a pretty bad team.  We scrimmaged them in August, so we knew they couldn't stay with us.  We didn't throw much this year, but today we threw a Quick Sweep pass for a TD (WB sweep, pulled up and threw to the backside TE over the middle), and a power pass for a PAT.  We also kicked a PAT for the first time this year.

We finished 6-2.  We've been 5-2 and 5-2-1, but this is our first 6 win season with Jr. Pee Wee's.  Went 6-2 our last year of Mitey Mites 6 years ago.

The two games we lost were to teams that were 15-1 combined, and both going to the playoffs.

We scored 192 points, which includes being shut out our first game and scoring 7 in our other loss.  We gave up 77 points, including 38 in our two losses, and 20 in one game where we played subs the whole game on D (were up 24-0 at half).  Had 3 shut outs.

We had 12 different kids score TD's, including 3 who were linemen.

I ran jet sweep this year for the first time, it was a good play for us.

So in all, I'll take it.

The team that knocked us out of the playoffs knocked our org's other Jr. PW team out of the playoffs today, 26-18.

Now off to next year.

Offline MauiWowie22

• Copper
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #281 on: October 28, 2012, 08:28:06 PM »
We went 10-0 in our regular season
Since I'm still considered "clinic" we don't have playoffs but we entered a one day tournament yesterday.  Guaranteed 2 "full" games and the 3rd game is Championship.

First seed in tournament is based on highest scoring winning team.  This is the only game I didn't put the breaks on and we won 72-0.  At the half I went up to the opposing coach to let him know I was only doing this b/c I wanted to make sure we get the best ranking out of the 8 teams playing that day.  He said he didn't want us to put the breaks on just b/c his team didn't show up today. 
Game two we scored 5 TD's really quick and the entire second half I let my lineman run.  Damn should have seen the smiles on their faces!
Championship was against a team we barely beat in the regular season we where their only loss the last 2 years.  It was the most exciting and stressful game I've ever coached.
This being my 3rd year coaching I still consider myself a rookie coach.   Even though we where driving well and getting 6-8 yards a play I was stressing that my home run plays where not taking it to the house.  My best back had not one but TWO headhunters on him that hit him even when he didn't have the ball.  Once I got over the shock that if I didn't run my best back we could move the ball and we did.  Wedge, Wedge, Wedge, Wedge, Wedge, Wedge, counter SCORE! 

We won the championship game 12-0

My double wing has never been stuffed like that before made me think that I need work the inside more.  This Defense knew we love the outside and they adjusted to stop it.

Planning for next year already....  :)

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
« Reply #282 on: October 28, 2012, 10:10:11 PM »
Won our (6-2) playoff game today 14-12 against a team (7-1) we lost to 28-12 2 weeks ago. My team quit in the 4th Q last game and gave up a 12-8 lead. This time they fought hard until the end and pulled off what nobody thought they could (I believed they could and hammered that point home all week at practice).

Next weekend is our Super Bowl against the leagues only undefeated team, we lost to them 8-0 in week 2. They scored with 2 mins left in the game then. This time they wont score at all!!! I have never been so proud as I am now, watching these kids fight so hard & the look on their faces after the game reminded me why I'll never stop coaching youth football.
Nice job.  Good luck next week - go get 'em, coach!!

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
« Reply #283 on: October 28, 2012, 10:17:17 PM »
Yeah, we scored 6 TDs and made 6 PAT kicks (good for 2 in PW, as you know).  I'll put up the video of the whole game in a month or so when things settle down a little for me.
Let me know when you post it.  That sounds amazing.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
« Reply #284 on: October 28, 2012, 10:23:22 PM »
Let me know when you post it.  That sounds amazing.

--Dave
Will do, although I have to admit that I'm a little embarrassed to let anyone see that defensive performance.   :-[