Author Topic: 2012 RESULTS THREAD  (Read 61737 times)

Offline CoachDP

• Benefactors
  • Kryptonite
  • "Every coach sets their own standard."
    • Coach Dave Potter
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Positions
Re: 2012 RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #285 on: October 28, 2012, 10:35:35 PM »
Will do, although I have to admit that I'm a little embarrassed to let anyone see that defensive performance.
I'm not looking at it that way.  I've never seen that many points on the board for a PW game, but I really want to see how your players kept getting up off the mat after getting knocked back down.  Pretty amazing.

--Dave
"The Greater the Teacher, the More Powerful the Player."

The Mission Statement:
"I want to show any young man that he is far tougher than he thinks, that he can accomplish more than what he dreamed and that his work ethic will take him wherever he wants to go." #BattleReady newhope

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
  • "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." - V. Lombardi
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #286 on: October 28, 2012, 10:53:42 PM »
I'm not looking at it that way.  I've never seen that many points on the board for a PW game, but I really want to see how your players kept getting up off the mat after getting knocked back down.  Pretty amazing.

--Dave
Thanks, Dave.  I watched the game video last night after I got home, but I could only watch our offensive series - I had to skip over the defensive series, it was just too upsetting.

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #287 on: October 29, 2012, 08:07:04 AM »
We won 42-12 to a very talented but poorly coached team. 12 was the most we have given uo all year after putting up 7 straight shut outs. They scored on a ko return(our kicker was supposed to line drive the ball but he moon balles it to their best player)and a sweep where our de and cb slipped on a wet field. The real story of the game was the other team had 4 players, 1 coach and a couple of fans ejected. They were kicking our kids, punching in the piles late hits, just terrible sportsmanship. So the refs give warnings and then start ejecting players. Honestly they probably should of called the game but I think they were concerned about how the crowd would react. They had so many penalties after a td that we ended kicking off from their 10! I have never seen that before. I thought that was silly because as soon as the ball went 10 yds it was a touchback. We played well overall but have some things we need to work on. 5 straight conference titles for this coaching staff. Next we have a talented and very well coached team from Miami. They played us tough last year(maybe the best team we played ) and I expect the same Saturday.

Offline davecisar

• Platinum
    • Winning Youth Football Coaching Site
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #288 on: October 29, 2012, 08:43:30 AM »
Will do, although I have to admit that I'm a little embarrassed to let anyone see that defensive performance.   :-[

Doug

Great season and game
I bet those kids remember that one- 20 years from now

Like you I get very proud of seeing kids respond to a challenge with heart and perseverance. Mentally weak and poorly coached teams wilt in those situations- yours didnt- IMO that means successful season. Congrats on a job well done.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.

Winston Churchill

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #289 on: October 29, 2012, 09:48:04 AM »
Rob

Good job keep rolling!

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline angalton

• Gold
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Offense: Wishbone
« Reply #290 on: October 29, 2012, 10:04:47 AM »
We won 45 - 0 at beginning of 4th quarter. Have to win last game to get into our top playoff bracket. Team we play is in the same situation as us. Should be a very good game. They have the size and we have the speed.
The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
« Reply #291 on: October 29, 2012, 10:27:47 AM »
Angalton

Good job! Good Luck!

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline DL

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
« Reply #292 on: October 29, 2012, 11:27:06 AM »
First playoff game 34 - 6 to go to 10 - 0 on the season.   

We had them in running clock, but then their best player broke a long one on us right after and it went back to normal until we scored again.    We scored first drive of 2nd half to  put them in running clock.

Next two games will be really tough.   Next team has a very, very good running back who also plays LB for them.   Actually all their kids are good, but he is exceptional.

This is probably the most talented team in the league even though their record doesn't reflect it.   They pick from hundreds of kids.

Also, our film guy went to a h.s. game instead of filming them - bummer.    Plus, our kids have basketball practice every day this week for 2 hours, a game on Tue.  (they have to attend 2 games by rule A and B game - so that is a 4 hour deal) and a full basketball tournament on Fri., plus they all want to go trick or treating on Halloween.

Not our best situation for a big game against a good team that is hungry to beat us.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 11:54:00 AM by Daniel Lyons »

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
« Reply #293 on: October 29, 2012, 11:34:52 AM »
Dan

Good job! I know it gets tough this time of year but keep the focus. Good luck!

Joe
Bill Walsh

Offline angalton

• Gold
  • Offense: Wishbone
« Reply #294 on: October 29, 2012, 11:44:27 AM »
Thanks Joe

Dan with halloween week, having 1 practice, for most important game this year.
Were going to try and make best practice this year.

Good luck
The greatest accomplishment is not in never failing, but in rising again after you fail.

Offline DL

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
« Reply #295 on: October 29, 2012, 12:04:02 PM »
Thanks Joe and Angalton.

Good luck to both of you.   State championship all the way Joe.

Cool thing is my co-presenter at USA Football clinic is 9-1 with his only loss being to our team.   

We lost to his team in title game last year and we beat him 2 years ago in title game.   Nice to say we can practice what we preach.

Also, we lost a pre-season scrimmage to a Virginia team that is currently undefeated and travels around looking for competition.   

We may play them again after the season is over in Indiana.   I think the outcome will be much different this time around as we are 10x better now then we were in 2 week of practice and trying to run a new defense that we had never ran before (we went back to old one after that game).   

We really struggled with defending the flat in that game and they were able to convert a lot of 3 and 4th and longs, and our OC called a lot of passes because he wasn't necessarily trying to win the game but work on things for the regular season.

We had a number of kids in wrong positions at that point and have that corrected now as well.    I am sure they are better now too though.   Sounds like they play nearly year round which is odd to me.

Should be a good game if it happens - unfortunately for me if it happens over Thanksgiving weekend I won't be able to be there.

Offline Pantherlinecoach

• Bronze
  • If at first you dont succeed, skydiving is not 4 U
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 6-2
« Reply #296 on: October 29, 2012, 06:11:38 PM »
first playoff game this weekend. we won sat 21 to 6 in a game that turnovers kept us from runnin away with. real ball starts now.

Offline shawnm

• Copper
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #297 on: November 03, 2012, 05:40:49 PM »
Well we just lost our league Championship Game  "Rocky Bowl"   in overtime 14-22  for our first loss of the season.  Tough loss for our kids, I'm mentally exhausted.  Good season (10-1). 

I taken allot away from this season and this board.   It was the first year our community has fielded a "10-11 age"  team in the Rocky Bowl  so the whole community was there must have been 2 or 3 to 1 in fan difference, because their team has won it pretty much every other year.

Game could have gone either way comes down to inches in a game like this one call one way or the other,  one penalty one way or the other might have made a difference.    I know if I would have a bit more game day experience we could have pulled it out but rack it up to experience.  I'm not going to be able to watch this film for awhile.     

Offline Coach Kyle

• Gold
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #298 on: November 03, 2012, 07:02:14 PM »
Just won our first game of playoffs 20 - 0. I did so much scouting that I could tell which way they were running on about 70% of their plays. They added in some new stuff for the game that kind of worked, but in general they played us much much tougher last week. All of our TD's came in the first half, and we probably would have piled on some more points, but the other team has the option of taking out 5 players on offense or defense when they are down by more than 18 points. In general we just played better, out schemed them, and the other team played worse.

Hopefully we can win next week. We've already beaten both of the teams that are playing there.

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #299 on: November 03, 2012, 07:21:55 PM »
Today our Ralph Giordano's Funeral Home Saints played the Ridgewood Savings Bank Black Knights for the 3rd time, having beaten them our previous 2 meetings this season in the Warrior Pee Wees.  The Knights were down to 12 players, but were still not pushovers; they'd beaten the Javelins 6-0 the previous week at SUNY Maritime College.  I passed several downed trees yet to be cleared from Pelham Bay Park on my way in.

How we wound up kicking off into the wind (which was considerable in the wake of storm Sandy), I don't know.  We don't switch ends with the quarters, so it makes a difference which end you pick.  I distinctly remember Coach Eric telling our captains we wanted to go "this way", but maybe they took him as pointing to the goal to defend.  The Knights got good field position to start off, and made 3 first downs, mixing runs & passes, using up the entire first Q (10 mins. running) before the Saints held on downs.  Our tackling looked substandard as their runners did not cooperate in going down easily on interior runs.  In the process, I noticed a formation tell the Knights had: They tightened their splits, especially between G & T, on pass plays.  None of our players or other coaches had noticed this.

Starting on offense around our 20 yard line, the Saints began a long drive which looked like it could break open any time.  Our OL was confused by the Knights DL, which did a lot of shifting and had several players standing up.  Eventually we settled down to blast plays in the A & B gaps, which got those DL into 3 pt. stances soon.  QB Julian Cardona got into open field on a spin keeper from double TE shotgun after faking the other way, only to unaccountably fumble out of bounds after he got first down distance, just as he'd exhibited butter fingers in pregame.  We had adjusted the blocking on that play series in pregame at Eric's suggestion, having each E block down while the Ts crossed behind them for the LBs.

Eventually our trips bunch formation plays opened up.  First was a quick screen to Isaiah Holder that put us inside the Knights 25 at the 2 min. warning.  I didn't think our receivers sold that one well enough, but can't complain about the result.  Then came a slant-in from that same trips left to his half brother Paul Turner for a spectacular catch and run for the TD.  Conversion failed.  Then on our kickoff their returner just danced around in the middle while our coverage seemed to just hold up, until eventually they lost containment discipline, which he saw as he went to the left sideline and around everybody to tie the score.  So we went into halftime tied 6-6.

2nd half the wind had shifted to a pure crosswind, so we didn't suffer any worse from being on the "wrong" end of the field.  Knights ballhandling became sloppier, and they really didn't threaten while the Saints reeled off 2 unconverted TDs, one of them a long TB lead play behind a G-T crossblock, the other a scramble off a pass play.  We later learned of the latter that Julian had said in the huddle that he might keep, but expected to run the other way.  We got a little fancy near the end with our 12 point lead, Kenyette Belle coming in at QB and throwing an interception on a long attempt, but Arben Kukaj snuffed the Knights comeback attempt with the most spectacular tackle on their series, knifing in as LB to cut out the legs of their sweeper.

So we won 18-6 to even our record, 4-4, while the Knights sank to 2-5-1.  In the earlier game, the Rams, still unscored on, went to 8-0 while sending the Javelins to 1-6-1.  So we have a lock on 2nd place, but need the win against the Javs next week for a winning season.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 07:57:36 PM by Bob Goodman »