Author Topic: 2012 RESULTS THREAD  (Read 61778 times)

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
  • "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." - V. Lombardi
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Spread Formation
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: 2012 RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #330 on: November 05, 2012, 05:02:07 PM »
Doug

OK lets be real here.

Paradise comes at a price.

You need two jobs just so you can afford a gallon of milk.  :o

Plus you need to be bi-lingual.  ::)

And a helicopter is necessary or half your life is spent sitting in your car commuting.  :P

And then there is the Padres....and Norv Turner...and Tijuana is awfully close....with their Cartels and constant train of Mules...and stuff .  ;) ;)
The last gallon of milk I purchased was $3.09 - is that a lot?

I don't know how important it is to be bilingual, but I'm sure it comes in handy in a lot of instances, just as it does anywhere.  At my daughter's school, it's like the United Nations - I've heard parents speaking Russian, Ukrainian, Indian, Farsi, Hebrew, French, Tagalog, Mandarin, Korean (and well, just about every Asian language), etc, etc, but oddly enough, no Spanish.  We get a lot of visiting professors and other staff at UCSD in our area, so they come from all over the world.  The Mexican border is about 30 miles from where I live, but there is a much bigger Asian presence than Hispanic here in La Jolla.  Of course, that is very different in other parts of San Diego.

Commuting & Traffic??  Well, maybe compared to some other parts of the country, there is some traffic here, but after spending 20 years in L.A., I laugh at the traffic here.  Seriously, it rarely takes me more than about 20 minutes to get anywhere in greater San Diego.  I suppose if I tried to go all the way across the county at the height of rush hour, that could take up to 40 minutes, but even at rush hour, I rarely budget more than 20 minutes to get just about anywhere.  Bottom line, traffic here in SD is simply not a problem.

Tijuana, Cartels, mules, etc., not an issue in our part of town, but could be if you ventured south of the downtown area, I suppose.

Now, you got me with the Padres and Norv Turner.  The major sports scene here (Padres, Chargers, SDSU, no NBA, no Hockey, no NASCAR, no other major D1 colleges) is weak at best, but L.A. is just a short drive up the coast ... oh, wait, nevermind ...

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 3-5-3
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #331 on: November 05, 2012, 05:04:38 PM »
The last gallon of milk I purchased was $3.09 - is that a lot?

I don't know how important it is to be bilingual, but I'm sure it comes in handy in a lot of instances, just as it does anywhere.  At my daughter's school, it's like the United Nations - I've heard parents speaking Russian, Ukrainian, Indian, Farsi, Hebrew, French, Tagalog, Mandarin, Korean (and well, just about every Asian language), etc, etc, but oddly enough, no Spanish.  We get a lot of visiting professors and other staff at UCSD in our area, so they come from all over the world.  The Mexican border is about 30 miles from where I live, but there is a much bigger Asian presence than Hispanic here in La Jolla.  Of course, that is very different in other parts of San Diego.

Commuting & Traffic??  Well, maybe compared to some other parts of the country, there is some traffic here, but after spending 20 years in L.A., I laugh at the traffic here.  Seriously, it rarely takes me more than about 20 minutes to get anywhere in greater San Diego.  I suppose if I tried to go all the way across the county at the height of rush hour, that could take up to 40 minutes, but even at rush hour, I rarely budget more than 20 minutes to get just about anywhere.  Bottom line, traffic here in SD is simply not a problem.

Tijuana, Cartels, mules, etc., not an issue in our part of town, but could be if you ventured south of the downtown area, I suppose.

Now, you got me with the Padres and Norv Turner.  The major sports scene here (Padres, Chargers, SDSU, no NBA, no Hockey, no NASCAR, no other major D1 colleges) is weak at best, but L.A. is just a short drive up the coast ... oh, wait, nevermind ...

8)

D...SD is a very nice town.  ;)
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline coachdoug

• Silver
  • "Fatigue makes cowards of us all." - V. Lombardi
« Reply #332 on: November 05, 2012, 05:20:48 PM »
8)

D...SD is a very nice town.  ;)
So, you'll be moving out here, then??  All right - I like where our staff is headed - me, you, Rob ... now, if we can just get Joe, Dan, Michael, Dave, and a few others to come join us, too, we'll have a "dream team" staff, lol.   ;D

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #333 on: November 05, 2012, 05:26:41 PM »
So, you'll be moving out here, then??  All right - I like where our staff is headed - me, you, Rob ... now, if we can just get Joe, Dan, Michael, Dave, and a few others to come join us, too, we'll have a "dream team" staff, lol.   ;D

I can work from any place that has internet and direct flights to New York.

;)
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline ZACH

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 10-1
« Reply #334 on: November 05, 2012, 05:47:05 PM »
I can work from any place that has internet and direct flights to New York.

;)

Come back to philly area bro!! 8)
"Some athletes have division 1 dreams and jv work ethic" - random

Offline searider86

• Bronze
  • I wasn't hired for my disposition.
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #335 on: November 05, 2012, 06:05:53 PM »
I visited San Diego once and loved every minute of it.  Of course, it was vacation.  I love every minute I'm on vacation.   ;D
"Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority."

Vince Lombardi

Offline DL

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 10 & Under
« Reply #336 on: November 05, 2012, 06:09:28 PM »
Dan, sorry about the loss.  I really thought you guys had that super bowl in the bag.

FYI, Joel's in the superbowl for our league.   Great job coach! 

A couple of things without disclosing too much.   He has a couple of non-dad assistant coaches, which is good of course, but in our league it can hurt you as well.   

Many teams at the B level across the league tend to use assistant positions to get a good athlete off the top level and onto the B level.  Or barring that at least take a great player out of the draft and automatically onto a team.     

Their org. does not have that much success as a whole, so his is all the sweeter on both counts.

Congrats coach.   Hope you take it all.

Dan

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
« Reply #337 on: November 05, 2012, 08:43:13 PM »
Come back to philly area bro!! 8)

Philly is awesome.
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline mahonz

• Administrator
  • Kryptonite
  • No Wimps
  • Defense: 3-5-3
« Reply #338 on: November 05, 2012, 10:01:34 PM »
Philly is awesome.

M

Never been there but its on my to do list. I love History and would get lost in all that for weeks.
What is beautiful, lives forever.

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #339 on: November 06, 2012, 08:21:40 AM »
Thanks guys. The stinging is starting to subside a little. Joe made a great statement about not being able to appreciate what is happening while it is happening. Dead on. I was hoping to meet some of you guys at Disney. A few of us might make the trip up for a day or 2 of the games.

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #340 on: November 06, 2012, 08:48:21 AM »
Rob

It would be a pleasure. Hopefully we can get together, I am waiting to see if 2 of the Mint Hill teams make it to Florida for the AYF's. I know DP is coming down, I'm sure DC will be here too. It's not too bad a drive for you. I usually carry dry erase markers in the truck. Jeeeeez that would be a fight for holds the marker last.

Over the years I have learned it's only in hindsight do you get to enjoy a run like you guys had. No one can truly appreciate what you did accomplish. You did it with new players almost every year, against top notch compitition, I know what those challenges are like. It seems like other coaches always find excuses why you beat them instead of the truth. They were out coached.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
« Reply #341 on: November 10, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
Our Ralph Giordano's Funeral Home Saints came into the final week of the Bronx Warrior PeeWee season 4-4 with 2nd place locked up.  In the early game, the McNulty Funeral Home Rams finished the season unbeaten, untied, and unscored on by beating the Ridgewood Savings Bank Black Knights, leaving the latter with a 2-6-1 record.  Therefore the Balsamo Funeral Home Javelins needed a win to tie them and not have last place all to themselves.  The Knights had several more players show up for their game today than did to play us last week, and, strangely, this week it was the Javelins' turn to show up with only 12 to play us.

We kicked off to open.  The Javs lost while trying to play games with our blitz-threatening LBs, trying long counts and committing 3 successive false starts on 2nd down.  They punted to us, and after some rather dismal running attempts, we went into our trips left formation, with a bunch very close to the sideline, where QB Paul Turner hit his brother Isaiah Holder on a quick screen that went about 60 yards to the 1 yard line.  We have a couple of pick patterns we can use on the goal line, and we used one of them on 1st down to get our TD.  As they lined up for the try, one of the Javs threw his helmet on the ground and was immediately disqualified, leaving them with no substitutes.  On the try we got away with illegal motion when Paul called "set" before he actually set on the shift into shotgun -- a frequent mistake in practice -- and the slot went into motion for the fake on Paul's spin and keep.  7-0 us.

The Javs drove fairly well on their next possession, culminating in a shallow crossing pass that had our players fail on several tackling attempts until a saving tackle left the ball inside our 15.  However, after the 2:00 warning the Javs snuffed their own drive with an underthrown pass (receiver was breaking open), and following our interception & runback, plus a good run, we seemed to be rolling again when the halftime whistle came.

2nd half we opened with a sequence of 3 pre-called plays, no huddle, but after one first down we wound up punting.  In pre-game, we had found a new punter in Frank Gaudio, and he got off a good one.  The Javelins eventually put together a long drive assisted by a 3rd & 10 penalty for a head tackle.  They scored on a TD pass and went for the winning 2 points via a kick that popped high & short, leaving it 7-6 at the 2 min. warning.  However, being a sport, Coach Kenny let our players have some fun and pass, resulting quickly in 4th down and Frank reminding us why Arben Kukaj had been our punter by getting off a kick that went almost straight up and netted 3 yards.  However, the Javs were unable to make much hay, so we won 7-6, finishing the season 5-4, and had pizza delivered to the field.  The Javs finished 1-7-1, their win having been against us Sept. 29.

Offline Coach Kyle

• Gold
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
« Reply #342 on: November 10, 2012, 06:05:39 PM »
Just lost our divisional championship game 26 to 27 in double over time  >:(

Offline lost episodes

• Silver
  • Offense: DC Wing T
« Reply #343 on: November 10, 2012, 07:02:58 PM »
We won 47-0 BUT played sloppy and the bad cocky! Need to get some better practice time in. IT'S STARTING TO SHOW!!!!!

Offline TwinsCoach

• Copper
  • Broken Arrow Tigers
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #344 on: November 11, 2012, 11:01:55 AM »
We went 11-1.  We lost in the semi-finals.  Good year.
Dad of twin boys who helps coach