Author Topic: 2012 RESULTS THREAD  (Read 61771 times)

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Retired
Re: 2012 RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2012, 07:11:29 PM »
We won 29-0. We tried some new stuff out on offense with mixed results. I don't think we gave up a first down on defense. Our corners need to stop intercepting on 4th down. It is hard to convince a kid to knock the ball down on 4th.
We play another 3-0 team this week. They also run the dw. I am pretty sure it's Gregory's system. They run it pretty well. They buy into the 3yds a carry, wearing down teams, and clock management. Nice team overall. Definitely a playoff team.

Offline Coach Kyle

• Gold
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Offense: Wing T
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2012, 08:52:31 PM »
Was this because you filmed a scrimmage?   Lame rule.   

I just noticed our league put in a bunch of monetary fines for a bunch of violations when I was looking up another rule. 

Not sure about the legality or enforceablity of all that.   We are volunteers after all and they don't have police powers.   I guess they can just ban you if you don't pay.

Not sure how I feel about it though.   First I am seeing it.

Yeah something like that. I'm kind of looking at it as a good thing. I was really hating that organization. Every level seemed to annoy me.

Offline bigshel

• Silver
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2012, 09:16:35 PM »
Won Game 1 16-0
Won Game 2 31-0

Game 1 - of a roster of 24, we were missing 7, including starting QB, who was overweight by 1/2 lb., starting HB on family vacation, starting G w concussion (mild), starting FB w broken fingers (2), and other starting G (late cert). Ran iso, wedge, sweep and trap.  That was the extent of the playbook we used.

Game 2 - 21 active: got back starting QB, one starting G, and starting HB.  Added PA passing game and TE Reverse to the mix.  Running clock in the second qtr. with about 5 min. to go in the half.  Not bragging, because the competition was not very good at all.  We still have some work to do on blocking sweep; it was kind of sloppy, to my eyes, and downright lazy at times  >:(.  Defense was stellar, but again, the competition wasn't that great.

Offline BigVince

• Copper
  • "Hard Work Pays Off"
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: Wishbone
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2012, 07:27:47 PM »
Won Game #1 32-0
Won Game #2 36-14
Won Game #3 30-0

We have already played the two best teams in our Divison and beaten them pretty soundly. All 3 teams have been placed on a running clock by the middle of the Third QTR.
Now we just have to play through the next few games till we get to our bowl games.
Having a great season So far.

Offline CoachDavidP

• Silver
  • (Fizzlife)
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Offense: Other
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2012, 03:49:06 AM »
Blah. First loss, 0-8. now 3-1.

Two undisciplined plays on defense causes two goal Li.e stands. We only held one.  Were expecting a weaker opponent and plenty of playing time for our back-ups. Found out after the fact they had 3 two wah starters back that missed the first three games. Not why we lost because we still should have held them scoreless if we don't try to make plays on the other side of thefield.

Offensively, they are struggling.  I'm not involved with the offense, but they just seem confused and slow against an attacking defense. Not sure if its scheme or how they are coaching it.  When I ask about it, I get the typical "they just have to block the man in front of them." 

We'll keep looking for the shut outs.  And maybe we can score on D too. We dropped 5 picks in the last two games.   :-\
« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 07:33:53 AM by fizzlife »
David (Fizzlife)

Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2012, 03:54:26 AM »
"they just have to block the man in front of them."

Has anyone shown them how?
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline belebuch

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Defense: Killer Bee
  • Title: Other
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2012, 03:54:55 AM »
Game one - W 40-20

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Head Coach
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2012, 07:18:56 AM »
We lost 20-13, but our kids took a big step forward.

Offline PSLCOACHROB

• Administrator
  • Diamond
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2012, 07:38:04 AM »
We won 34-0. Our defense gave up 3 first downs against a pretty good dw team. Our second team offense looked great, especially the wedge. Our next opponent is bad. Very bad. We can really focus on fundamentals and tightening a few things up this week.

Offline CoachDavidP

• Silver
  • (Fizzlife)
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2012, 07:45:00 AM »
Has anyone shown them how?

We work on blocking everyday in some form or another.  A couple days we work blocking drills individually and just O-line as a unit. Of the 4 days of practice, 3 of those we scrimmage using first and second offense against what I can put together for a defense.  And they do a lot of corrections during drills and live scrimmaging. We've done blocking progressions early on.  I think the main problem is technique (coming off too high, not moving their feet) and they could do with less scrimmaging, but I could be wrong also and I can only make suggestions for the offense and help where ever they want me. So anything I can learn here, then I hope I can work on some kids individually sometime. The group we have, it seems we should be getting more of a push up front.
David (Fizzlife)

Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

Offline cconnolly

• Copper
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2012, 08:41:00 AM »
Won Game 1 30-0
Won Game 2 30-6
Won Game 3 8-0 (Double overtime)
Lost Game 4 8-16 (Two special teams messups)
Won Game 5 52-0
Won Game 6 48-0

Coach Connolly

Offline Tripwire

• Silver
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2012, 10:10:33 AM »
Won 32-0 without giving up a single first down vs our across town rival.

It was 32-0 before half time but we had to play with these retarded run between the tackle rules.  So the opposing team just puts all 11 defenders between both tackles and not much you can do.  I think that rule is so idiotic for many reasons.

Anyway fumbled on the very first play but it wasn't a snap problem so I was ok.  We were a far superior team so there is still stuff to work on.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Offline Coach Kyle

• Gold
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2012, 10:38:34 AM »
We work on blocking everyday in some form or another.  A couple days we work blocking drills individually and just O-line as a unit. Of the 4 days of practice, 3 of those we scrimmage using first and second offense against what I can put together for a defense.  And they do a lot of corrections during drills and live scrimmaging. We've done blocking progressions early on.  I think the main problem is technique (coming off too high, not moving their feet) and they could do with less scrimmaging, but I could be wrong also and I can only make suggestions for the offense and help where ever they want me. So anything I can learn here, then I hope I can work on some kids individually sometime. The group we have, it seems we should be getting more of a push up front.
Nope, it's the scheme. You have a few kids that block like wet paper towels, sure, but it's the scheme with most of them. You had a few kids that didn't block anybody all game, and instead of going downhill and taking out a linebacker, they looked like they were pass blocking air. You guys should have used your TEs to double the DTs - they were killing you. Most blocking schemes would have made that happen since the DEs were facing 9 tech DE's all game long. Also, the pitch was wide open. Their 9 tech DEs were extremely undisciplined; they would run straight into your TEs and get blocked. They did take outside leverage, but they were always trying to get inside. Your wing back could have easily cracked them inside, and you could have run away from their scary defensive line with a block on the corner.

If your players don't know where to go, they'll think about it. Thinking makes them slow. And your coaches kept making your line confused. How are they ever supposed to gain confidence if their coaches tell them that they're doing a poor job? Even the ones who are going fast are going to second guess themselves and wind up thinking.

Your defense did look really nice though. When I looked at your team, I thought they were completely out match in size, but it didn't matter - very cool. I was expecting to see a lot of broken containment, but that didn't happen with the exception of that one fake double reverse. In fact, you got those guys for negative yardage.

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2012, 09:15:23 PM »
My Saints team opened Sat. 9/15 by losing 16-0 to the Rams.  For a week earlier in practice it looked as if we would have to live on defense this season, and that was confirmed by our opening game result.  Our offense had nothing.  We opened no holes, couldn't turn runs up outside, and didn't attempt many passes.  Because things hadn't looked so good in practice, we'd installed only a fraction of the offense Kenny had intended.  At least our ballhandling was good, however, our shotgun snaps were not as sloppy as they'd been in practice, and assignments weren't being missed as frequently.

We gave up an end run from midfield in the 1st Q.  (We hadn't practiced sideline tackling as I'd wished.)  The Rams clearly had the best kicker in the division, and converted the modified try for 2 pts.  Our player Paul Turner, coming back from a wrist injury, committed some errors but also made some spectacular plays, including a drive-snuffing interception which gave us the ball deep in our territory near the close of the half.  It was a 4th down pass, but Paul didn't really have a reasonable opp'ty to knock it down, needing instead to wrestle the ball away from a Ram all the way to the ground.  So we had bad field position, but instead of just trying to kill time to the half, we wound up giving up a safety on 3rd down trying to run wide.  So we trailed 10-0.

It didn't help that Eric kept up his coaching bad habit from last season of walking part way into the field to coach our defense, and staying on the field.  It's not like he was any more visible there than he would've been on the well-policed sideline, and I doubt he was heard much better from where he was.  So he first drew a delay of game penalty, and the next time a half the distance USC.  He just wants to be assertive [substitute insult here], so he kept it up all game, almost every down.  I was expecting him to draw another USC and get tossed, but he wasn't flagged again all game, even when he accidentally bumped into a wing official, so I guess he earned a free pass (probably not a season pass, though) by those 2 penalties.  They did hurt us, though.  Kenny (Eric's bro-in-law and our HC) gave up in disgust trying to get him off the field.

2nd half we gave up another TD run from midfield, this time thru a B gap that our WLB had left a tempting target, which Eric had noticed just before the snap.  The Rams went for 2 again, but missed the kick, so at least they didn't mercy rule us.

Kenny says we'll work on blocking & tackling all next week, which is fine with me, but I hope he lets me teach more technique and some drills I want to do, rather than blow it all on generic scrimmage-like drills.

Turns out the Rams were the only team in the Pee Wee div. of the Warrior club to score at all this week.  The Javelins-Black Knights game wound up scoreless, leaving us in sole possession of last place and the Rams in sole possession of 1st.

This was my first loss since I began coaching in the Warrior Football Club in 2010.  I hope it's not like my dismal 2007 season with the Co-Op City Cowboys JPWs.  I'm sure it won't be that bad, because at least our players really want to play and win.

Offline jrk5150

• Administrator
  • Platinum
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2012, 10:37:06 PM »
Well, we got our fist win.

26-13 against a bad team.  Still too many mistakes.  Two big plays - one to set up their first TD, and one went for their second TD.  Bad tackling on them both, we had the runners at or behind the LOS and let him go.

Offense played well for 3 quarters, then the D started cutting the C (stopped our wedge) and bringing the house on a blitz.  We had our two best linemen out (one out of town, one got hurt during game), and our two LWB's got hurt during the game.  But that's not an excuse for allowing blitzing backers to come in untouched.

Lost one TD to a penalty, not sure what it was.  Didn't look like it on video. 

My toss it wide to our fast guys play and a beginner jet sweep actually both worked okay.

What I'm really concerned about is that damn blitz pick up.  Going to have to work on it this week.

Good team coming to town next week, I saw them play today.  Nothing special, or complicated, but a simple scheme executed pretty well.  We'll see what our kids can do.  And hope that all the ice packs on the sideline weren't anything serious.