Author Topic: 2012 RESULTS THREAD  (Read 61772 times)

Offline Popcoach11

• Copper
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Defense: Undecided
  • Offense: Multiple
  • Title: Head Coach
Re: 2012 RESULTS THREAD
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2012, 01:20:52 PM »
With 7 & 8 year-olds?  Coach, I need to see your clinic presentation.

--Dave

Send me a private message coach.....

Offline bigshel

• Silver
  • Coaching: 11 & Under
  • Defense: 6-3
  • Offense: Single Wing
  • Title: Coordinator
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2012, 06:55:20 PM »
3-0.  Won this weekend 39-8, and it could have easily been much worse.

It was fairly close at halftime (14-0).  Most likely a combination of our kids being overconfident and basically mailing it in, and their kids playing with a chip on their shoulder.  We broke it open early in the third, after some halftime adjustments (some physical, some mental, if you get my drift).

Per the Org President, had to give up a touchdown, so the HC would not be suspended; even though the final touchdown was scored when they fumbled a kickoff return into the endzone.  Not our fault but, those are the rules, I guess.

Offline BigVince

• Copper
  • "Hard Work Pays Off"
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Split
  • Offense: Wishbone
  • Title: Assistant
« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2012, 12:15:22 PM »
40-0 win week 4
Record now 4-0

Offline Prodigy

• Silver
  • Coaching: 6 & Under
  • Offense: Undecided
  • Title: Retired
« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2012, 12:19:49 PM »
Going into week 4...we are 1-1-1...no tie breakers at my level of football.
If you show up for a fair fight, you are unprepared.

Offline coach.Z

• Copper
  • Coaching: 8 & Under
  • Defense: 5-3
  • Offense: Multiple
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2012, 05:09:02 PM »
Followed up week 1 win with a 38 to 0 thumping.  The other team was full of under coached athletes.  They gained about -40 yards total offense and declined to receive the kickoff and continue the game with 3 minutes left in the 4th quarter.

Offline MHcoach

• Platinum
  • Coaching: High School
  • Defense: Other
  • Offense: Other
« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2012, 09:19:37 AM »
57-3...... We gave up our first points, a field goal on the last play after 35 yds in penalties. The offense rolled, & it was the quickest game ever. Next up is a move up in class, looking forward to the challenge.

Joe
"Champions behave like champions before they're champions: they have a winning standard of performance before they are winners"
Bill Walsh

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
  • Offense: Wing T
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »
Here's a link to what was released to the press re last week's games.  Our team's full name is the Ralph Giordano's Funeral Home Saints.

75% of the teams in our division are sponsored by undertakers!  In a way that's fitting, because most of the players in it will be eligible for just one season, and then be aged- and/or weighted-out of the Warriors, and will probably never play organized tackle football again, so it's like we'll close the coffin on their football days.  I feel particularly bad about that for our youngest player, Robert, who because of his size has had to play up; he might still come under our weight limit (he's big, not fat) next year, but I hope he finds an unlimited weight team to play on when he becomes ineligible for us.

Offline Michael

• Diamond
  • Coaching: 13 & Under
  • Offense: One Back
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2012, 09:36:38 AM »
Here's a link to what was released to the press re last week's games.  Our team's full name is the Ralph Giordano's Funeral Home Saints.

75% of the teams in our division are sponsored by undertakers!  In a way that's fitting, because most of the players in it will be eligible for just one season, and then be aged- and/or weighted-out of the Warriors, and will probably never play organized tackle football again, so it's like we'll close the coffin on their football days.  I feel particularly bad about that for our youngest player, Robert, who because of his size has had to play up; he might still come under our weight limit (he's big, not fat) next year, but I hope he finds an unlimited weight team to play on when he becomes ineligible for us.

No Undertakers?  No Grim Reapers?  No Angels of Death?
Michael can not receive PM's, emails or respond to Posts. He passed away in September 2018. To honor his contributions we are leaving his account active. R.I.P - Dumcoach Staff.

Offline Vince148

• Silver
  • Offense: Single Wing
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2012, 05:14:34 PM »
We lost a heartbreaker today in what was our defense's finest performance of the year. Final score was 6-0 as we fell to 0-3. The defense gave up an early 1st quarter TD and that was it. Offensively, we couldn't get untracked at all in the first half. Then we received the 2nd half kickoff and used up all but 50 seconds of the 3rd quarter to march down to their 1 yd. line only to fumble the ball and lose it. In the 4th quarter we hold again and get inside their 5 only to have a holding penalty kill that drive. Then with seconds remaining in the game, we have a final opportunity inside the 5 and get stalled on 4th down with a botched handoff. I should have called a different play. It was a valiant effort by our 13 kids. Oh, we did complete our only pass of the game. Our first win is coming soon!

Offline Tripwire

• Silver
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: Wide Tackle 6
  • Offense: Double Wing
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2012, 05:26:08 PM »
Won today 49-19 giving up our first multiple touchdown game of the year.

A long bomb where our kid was in position and was just out jumped and he snagged it and scored.  A reverse at the end of the game that caught everyone napping.  And a sweep where the kid just made some really good moves and scored.  Was pretty much a 3 play and 3td for the opponent deal.  Stuffed them the rest of the game.  Played backups and 3rd stringers the entire game after we went up 21-0 very early on in the 1st quarter.

5-0 and heading out to play a east coast team that we haven't played before next week.  Should be fun.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.

Offline CoachDavidP

• Silver
  • (Fizzlife)
  • Defense: 3-3 Stack
  • Title: Positions
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2012, 06:18:19 PM »
Won today. We were facing what we were pretty sure was a much weaker opponent so the gameplan was to get the back ups a lot of playing time and was able to do just that.  Final score 32-0 (mercy rule early in 4th), with 2 of the 5  td's scored by the 2nd offense and a complete 2nd string defense played all but 4 plays in the 2nd half. 

We are leading our division at 4-1 with 3 games left to play.  I think one more win locks up a playoff berth for us.
David (Fizzlife)

Extreme Ownership -- Jocko Willink and Leif Babin

Offline Winger

• Copper
  • Coaching: 14 & Under
« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2012, 07:07:55 PM »
4-0.  Division leaders.  We should go 7-0 and move to playoffs, having already played our toughest part of the schedule.  We run a modification of JJs 3-3 stack, very, very solid defense for us.  We also run an option set, similar to Navy, and a form of Beast when all else fails.  My second and third offensive units run Beast and we burn up a lot of clock with this.  I need to let our main offensive unit gain more proficiency and time on the field before we move to playoffs.  This may come back to haunt us in the playoffs.
BP

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2012, 07:30:12 PM »
Our Ralph Giordano Funeral Home Saints managed to beat the only team in the Warriors Pee Wee Div. not sponsored by a funeral home, the Ridgewood Savings Bank Black Knights, 6-0 today.  The Knights wingback deep single wing offense continued to sputter with bad snaps and bad blocking as we played the first half in their end of the field but could not score.  Our wide plays were stuffed the entire half as we missed the crackback block, while the only plays that were producing for us, and were doing so consistently, were fullback dives between the guards; too bad we couldn't turn any of those into big gainers because our priorities have not afforded us time to teach our line to release to 2nd level.  However, we were hampered all game by a lot of penalties for fouls at or before the snap -- failure to wear mouth guard (twice), several false starts, illegal motion, and illegal formation (which is whistled dead in the Warriors).

In the 2nd half we started to light up the outside, hit one safety valve pass, and then scored late on a play that HC Kenny had just modified this week from a pocket to a running pass, resulting in a wide open receiver who just had to wait in the end zone as the ball floated about 30 yards to him.  Our second most spectacularly successful play in the game had been a punt that netted us at least 50 yards.  Our pass defense consisted mostly of a great rush that resulted in hurried throws that didn't quite get to the Knights' open receivers.

It now appears that the Rams team that beat us 16-0 last week was the cream of the division, as they proceeded in the early game to beat the Javelins (who had tied the Knights 0-0) 22-0.  So we vaulted from 4th to sole possession of 2nd place and the honor of being one of the only 2 teams to have scored so far -- and we did so only late in the game.

I think I've helped the team by getting us to practice sideline tackling in the past week and getting our players to double team in the A gaps on the quick hitting dives, although they may not be using the form I taught them for the latter.

Offline Bob Goodman

• Platinum
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2012, 07:41:38 PM »
No Undertakers?  No Grim Reapers?  No Angels of Death?
Some of the Warriors teams, mostly in the Mites division, are named for Indian tribes (playing on the club theme), while others are named for previously existing club teams in the Bronx.  The latter is the case with the Ramblers in what is now the JPW div.; hen I told a friend we'd beaten them, he asked if we would play the Studebakers the following week.  Since we have only 12 tackle teams this year total and are not even using up the established team names, I think we'd have to increase our enrollment considerably before the club would resort to new team names, although if I ever organize an independent team around here, I'll name them Studebakers just to make that joke -- although somebody probably thought of that one decades ago.

With the sponsors we have, we could have some great or hilarious team names if we really sold out.  The Blue Devils I coached last year (our coaches must've done pretty well to have gone from Devils to Saints in one year) were sponsored by Miller Tire; we could've been the Skid Marks.

Offline cconnolly

• Copper
  • Coaching: 12 & Under
  • Defense: 4-4 Stack
« Reply #104 on: September 23, 2012, 09:10:11 AM »
We lost today 3-8.  We were inside the 20 3 times and could not finish the other team is now 7-0.  Defense gave up one drive.   We crushed them the rest of the game.  Very frustrating loss.  We are banged up starting RG & RT(my son) out for 3-4 weeks. 

One of our studs had to sit because being ejected last week on a horable call.  We had intercepted and returned it about 50 yards.  The player ran down the field and launched another player to the ground.  The refs threw a flag for unnessary roughness.  They ejected him because they said he targeted the kid and hit a defensless player.  We have a grand father that tapes our games and he showed up the video right at the end of the game.  In the video, our player with the ball cut back accross the field and the play that got block was following him and was with in 3 yards of making the tackle.  Our player that got ejected had ran down the opposite side away from the side of the interception.  When he say the cut back he accelerated to block for his team mate.  He shoved the kid with his hands on his shoulder pads almost exactly perpendicular to the kid.  I could see them throwing a flag for maybe a block in the back (which would have been a wrong call on video).  Know if he was hunting this kid he could have blasted him but he just pushed hard with his hands.  Our league is a joke.  We sent in video of how bad the refs were and they sited with us and reinstated him.  On friday our HC gets the weekly email that goes out showing which players have to sit and he was on it.  The HC calls the leagues executive dirctor who stats that the officals went over his head and there is no review process.  So this executive director also coaches a team at the might mit level.  In there game yesterday one of his players threw two punches, a flag was thrown but the player was not ejected.  The executive director higher, fires and signs the pay checks for the officials.

All in all, it does not mean much because we will probably see them again in the playoff and instead of us being a second seed we will most likly be the three seed.  Just another frusterating loss.